carb comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb comparison

I was taking apart my carbs this weekend and messed up the carb bodies trying to remove the pilot screw (i think thats what its' called)

It's the ones under the metal plug that has to be removed.

I dremeled the shaft trying to cut a deeper grove in the screw heads to get a better grip on the screw...and still couldnt get the screws to turn....I bent the tip on 3 screwdrivers doing this....

I even tried drilling a hole in the top of the screw (to insert a reverse thread bit) but the screw broke every bit I tried....it's very hard metel!

on all four carbs that screw gave me problems...I'm thinking now that if I do get them out ever...the threads are going to be all messed up

so i was looking at ebay for a set of carbs or just the bodies...

I have a 1981 GS550T

I found this page that compares the carbs of diffrent models.

But the "T" model is not listed...from reading around i think all the 550 81-82 are the same carbs...

but are there more years or maybe 450 650 or 850 that would work too?

also Im thinking of just cleaning/dipping the carbs I have like they are ....and seeing what happens....but from reading it sounds like I will still have problems

I tried everything I could to get those screws out except the torch method....but now they are all dremmeled up and drilled to a mess.

so any help finding a 4 comparable carb bodies wouls be great!

Those screws are nice soft brass - any screwdriver that bent itself rather than mangling the screw, must be some strange alloy. And a left handed drill bit ( is this what you meant by " reverse thread" )would be very unlikely to break while drilling brass. Can you post pic of the crime scene, cuz somethings strange here?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll post a pic when i get home this evening....they are not brass for sure

it was a bolt extractor bit

the extractor bit did'nt break...but I was supposed to drill hole into the stuck screw with a normal bit...then switch the drill to reverse and use the extractor bit....but i could never get the hole drilled ...even a little...it's definetly not brass...

maybe it's not the piolet scew....maybe the air screw?...the one thats under the metal factory cap that has to be removed...my cap was already removed

Comment

It's the idle mixture screw.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X