Worth rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth rebuilding?

So the carbs off my '82 750 look horrible. The pics don't tell the whole story. I don't mind investing the time and effort, but am wondering if it would be cheaper to find a set of working carbs in the long run. Tons of rust and build up, and everything is frozen up at the moment. I think this bike was underwater during Hurricane Katrina.

I don't think I'd mess with those. I wonder if any GSR pals can help you out with a new set instead of having to go through the 'bay though. Do you mind me asking, how is the rest of the bike?

Comment

The frame is garbage. I cut down the rear end a little, and when I moved the bike, water came out of the tubing. There is rust everywhere on the frame. Swing arm is rusted badly, no exhaust, front end it in need of rebuilding, but usable. Drum brake on back is frozen up, the front caliper was completely frozen up. I only paid $100 for the bike, so I am probably only going to keep the front end and motor. When I opened up the top cam cover the internals look really clean from that view. I pulled the oil fill plug, and looking in it, the clutch basket and surrounding metal all look clean. So once I dive into rebuilding the motor I'm sure I'll have less trouble than with all the external components. This should give you an idea of how bad the rust is on the rest of the frame.

Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

This is what it looked like when I brought it home.

I posted here when I first purchased the bike so I could lean some general info about it. I haven't been on in over 6 months so my account was deleted. Life kind of put this on the back burner, but I have been slowly tinkering with it lately and was just in need of a little advice.

Comment

Well you probably already have all of this stuff from before but just in case you misplaced it, here is the mega welcome package once again, with some great links and such....

good luck on the bike

Hi Mr. drenfro22,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Gatekeeper. I have all the links still saved in my bookmarks, but I appreciate the welcome back.

Comment

Working...
            X