Still have a choke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still have a choke problem

The 1980 gs850 is running much better after a complete carb dipping and rebuild. I've had it up to speed on the expressway and it is much better. But.... I still have a choke issue. When I choke the bike to start it, it doesn't rev past 2000 rpms. I can't seem to figure this one out. I installed a new choke cable. I don't believe that dirty carbs are the cause. I've cleaned and dipped the carbs. Any ideas?

Scudder

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
    The 1980 gs850 is running much better after a complete carb dipping and rebuild. I've had it up to speed on the expressway and it is much better. But.... I still have a choke issue. When I choke the bike to start it, it doesn't rev past 2000 rpms. I can't seem to figure this one out. I installed a new choke cable. I don't believe that dirty carbs are the cause. I've cleaned and dipped the carbs. Any ideas?

Scudder
    Yeah Steve stopped by today and his little 650 is the same. It chokes, but doesn't spin up very much. Honestly though, you don't need it to run faster than 2k. It's about where I set mine, and don't let em run over that as they warm up. You don't want to spin high revs with cold oil anyway

Comment

Once it starts do you throttle baqck the choke a bit? Does modulating it change anything? As it warms up the RPMS should rise and you start to cut back on he choke..yes???
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I seems to take quite a while to get warmed up and ready to ride. The choke does work, but not like I'd think it should. I have a 1978 gs750 and my son has a 1978 gs1000, and the both rev very high if you keep the choke open. That seems to get the bike ready to ride sooner. Of course both have VM carbs. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

The choke doesn't seem to have much of an effect after a couple minutes of running before I start to ride. After I shout down the choke, I twist the throttle a couple times and it is ready to go, idling around 1200 rpms.

Perhaps this is something I'll have to live with.

Scudder

Comment

Adjust the valves, if you haven't already.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X