Tank&Carb cleaned still have issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank&Carb cleaned still have issues

Alright kids, tore into the carbs last night on my 81 gs450. I also cleaned out the gas tank...... I used a toilet cleaner called "The Works". Let me say...WOW! I used 3 bottles and shook the tank for about 10min. I should have dumped and applied 3 more for optimal results.....but I didn't. Once smoke started pouring from underneath the gas cap..I stopped. Anyways..... I WISH I took a before pic..... but, here is the after pic.
    The stuff worked!
    Now, WARNING: Protect your paint job from the chemicals! I did not do a good job doing that. There are now streaks on my tank.....though the PO gave it a not so good paint job....I did not help it. I'm not worried. I may repaint later....if she proves herself.

Took the Carbs off and cleaned with carb cleaner.

Changed the oil and filter. Used Rotella 15w40 per suggestions on this forum. My friend helping thought I put the wrong kind in...You should have seen his eyes! I explained....what I learned here.

So, now..... How does it run? Better..sort of. On acceleration the second carb kicks in and about throws me off the bike! The cleaning helped. At least the second carb at least makes itself known! lol From what I read and guess, It sounds like it could be a air leaking in issue.....maybe?

It is not safe for me to ride like this. When I say kicks in I mean KICKS in and about kicks me off! Though, now I see that it does have some balls!

There are no cracks in the boots/rubber sleeves.....what ever the name is.
    The rubber boots on the back side (from air breather) did not cover the back side very well. Kinda like there is sag. We pushed and pushed and got them as close as we could.

Here is a question, Is the air breather/filter suppose to have 2 square pieces of foam in there and that's all? Seemed strange. 2 foam squares kinda laying in there.

So......

1.Bike is jumping in acceleration. The other Carb is kicking in in spurts. Why?

2. Air Cleaner- 2 pieces of foam and a plastic wall.....????

Can't ride till it's safer. :-(

I like folks pushing the envelop, and going where no sane person would follow. "The Works", yes, I've see it but I didn't see the fine print about gas tank cleaning- I better start reading the labels. But enough about tanks, what does "tore into the carbs" exactly mean? dipped or just disassembled and attacked with Gumout?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      dipped or just disassembled and attacked with Gumout?
      Attacked with Gumout... vigorously.

Comment

buy a can of berrymans carb dip they probably need to be soaked.

Comment

I thought taking them completely apart and spraying every orifice with Gumout would be enough. So, the problem with the bike surging is most likely with carbs because of something clogged somewhere?

Comment

yes, and if you did not remove the float needle seat, crap can get stuck behind there. parts of deteriorated fuel lines, crap from your fuel tank,

Comment

It also sounds like you may have an air leak. did you replace the o-rings between the carb intake boots and the head?
              At the back of the carbs the air box boots need to fit snugly and seal completely on the carbs.
              Since you stated the intake boots are in good condition those are the other two common places where intake leaks may occur.

Comment

Alright kids.....

Tore back into the carbs! There was a sand residue in the carbs. Not sure where it came from.......BUT I did what I was suppose to do and the carbs are now being dipped. I need to take the petcock off this time and clean it good as well. I know there were some spots missed from last cleaning...not this time.

I also replaced the intake gaskets. It seems the PO didn't know about GSR and used some sort of sealant over the old gasket. I bet this bike has not ran right in a while! Please see pics.....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92...74/Carbkit.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92...n74/Intake.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92...74/Newseal.jpg

One thing I am concerned about is tuning the carb. There is a guy I may take it to who restores old bikes. He actually sells the over seas for big buck. Anyways..........

I want it to run right.

Comment

Just dipped the second carb.....will take it out tomorrow.

After Carbs have been dipped..........I am thinking about taking the pitcock apart and cleaning it. I use to have a Honda that had a screen in it. I guess it is fine to take it apart and clean it....right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy74 View Post
                    I thought taking them completely apart and spraying every orifice with Gumout would be enough.
                    So did the hundreds of other guys who ended up dipping their carbs to do the job properly.

Good to see that you are finally doing it correctly.

Originally posted by Tracy74 View Post
                    After Carbs have been dipped..........I am thinking about taking the pitcock apart and cleaning it. I use to have a Honda that had a screen in it. I guess it is fine to take it apart and clean it....right?
                    You may not have to take the petcock completely apart, just remove it from the tank for inspection and cleaning.

What a minute. It sounds like you don't know if there is a screen on your petcock? And you just cleaned your tank with some harsh chemicals? I would definitely remove the petcock to inspect the screen.

By the way, that screen does two things. 1. It is your primary fuel filter. Your secondary fuel filter is the little dome over the float valve in the carb. That filter you have in the supply hose should probably be removed. 2. There are actually two tubes inside that screen. One of them opens near the top, the other opens at the bottom. The difference in height is what determines your RESERVE range.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X