1979 GS550E needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS550E needs help!

Hello i'm new to this site... i have a 1979 suzuki GS550E and need help with my carbs... How many vacuum lines run off of the gas tank petcock? because i see it has one and goes to the fuel rail?? between the middle two carbs... but there is also a valve stem on the 2nd and 4th carb (when looking from the filter side)... do these get a vacuum line hooked to it or what goes here??
    Thank You

Welcome to the site. You only have one vacuum line that goes to the carbs from the tank; the others run back under the seat and act as vents. You can read more about this and other maintenance recommendations at Basscliff's site (he's on vacation right now) if you go to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/Bikecliff and read his stuff. Pay particular attention to the Read Me section, Where do these hoses go, and the carb rebuild thread (very important if you want your bike to run correctly).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

well i dont know my problem then!!! it fires right up and idles awesome.... miss fires out of right side durning idle... took it for a ride and my top speed is 20 mph... i have k&n air filters on each carb.... dont know if its getting too much air and not enough fuel and its choking itself out or what... the bike has sat for probably 3 years before i got it and started tinkering around with it...

Comment

If it's misfiring then it's not idling awesome. I highly recommend you teardown the carbs and fully rebuild them properly with new orings and dipped in Berryman's for at least 24 hours each carb. It also sounds like they weren't rejetted for the pods so doing that will give you the opportunity to record what jet sizes you have in there currently. Then, you'll need to start experimenting on what will work for your bike.

Do a titles only search on rejetting vm carbs to get some good information. Unfortunately, I have CV carbs and am not smart enough to tell you how to proceed with that portion other than the search.

Put your location in your profile and maybe someone will be close enough to help out some.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

it is a given that every bike that has been sitting needs the carbs cleaned out, and that means a lot more than spraying them with cleaner and peeking at the hole in the jets.

You need to take care of that before you can even figure out how it runs.

at least your carbs are simpler and less sensitive to air leaks than the '80 and newer type.

Bite the bullet, and take the advice.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Does your bike have VM or CV carbs? It may make a difference for vacuum lines.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie, the 550 didn't get the CV carbs until 80.

Although it's a good point, when in 79 was your bike built? Can you throw up a pic of your carbs?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

When i get my phone fixed i will post pictures of them... i Live in a smalltown in southern Indiana... I think one of my buddies is coming to town this week and is going to help me... he goes to MMI in florida and mainly studying on kawasaki and suzuki bikes... and i know i need to adjust my jetting with the k&n's... im new to the whole motorcycle mechanics and dont know alot! lol

Comment

Working...
                X