well it wasnt the carbs...its a vac leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well it wasnt the carbs...its a vac leak

so if you have kept up with me you know what my bike is doing...

i re-dipped the carbs for the 2nd time...

i fired it up today an it idled at 4k rpm...so i idled it down...allll they way down...sprayed some staring fluid around carbs an it revved up...

also noticed a valve cover leak..it there any common places these bikes can leak? around choke area etc?

Could be o-rings under the carb. holders attach to engine, can get a set cheap from cycle-o-rings. Also be sure you airbox is sealed well, look on Basscliff site for lots of suggestions. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      Could be o-rings under the carb. holders attach to engine, can get a set cheap from cycle-o-rings. Also be sure you airbox is sealed well, look on Basscliff site for lots of suggestions. terrylee
      done all that...but now i recall, when i first got this bike goin it was harder to start an old diesel in -25 degree weather...

ive got all new o-ring seal airbox etc...only thing thats not new is the rubber carb holders...but there nice an squishy

Comment

You can't blame me for not warning all the newbies to replace their intake pipe boot O-rings. The instructions are in the carb rebuild tutorial and in the Newbie Mistakes thread. I sleep well knowing I've tried.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          You can't blame me for not warning all the newbies to replace their intake pipe boot O-rings. The instructions are in the carb rebuild tutorial and in the Newbie Mistakes thread. I sleep well knowing I've tried.
          just said i did..ill sum it up...

all new oring for cycle oring, dipped carbs (complete disasembled,all jets etc out), new airbox boots, sealed airbox(from cliffs site) adjusted valves, synced carbs (carbtune), a/f screws set (hihgest idle) all electrical checked+cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
            just said i did..ill sum it up...

all new oring for cycle oring, dipped carbs (complete disasembled,all jets etc out), new airbox boots, sealed airbox(from cliffs site) adjusted valves, synced carbs (carbtune), a/f screws set (hihgest idle) all electrical checked+cleaned.
            i mean all im asking is if these bikes have an issue leaking from somewhere easily...not what i didnt do...im not tryin to be a smartass either

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik
              He's a bit of a crumudgkin (sp) but gives good brake advice
              Someone will pipe in with further insight. Good luck.
              i hope so...kinda rough drivin an old truck in this warm weather

Comment

When you sprayed, did you use something to direct the spray to specific areas? If not, go back to it with the little hose and take your time. Your leak is probably still around the boots somewhere. Maybe one or more of the synch ports?
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Order new intake manifolds. Just because you changed the orings doesn't mean the manifolds aren't bad. Test them by spraying the starting fluid around them. Just in SMALL shots mind you! If they AREN'T leaking, you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the carbs. Ray.

Comment

Alot of times the intake pipes will crack. Between the metal mounting flange and the rubber. Your pipes will stillbe soft and squishy as you stated but still be leaking
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      Alot of times the intake pipes will crack. Between the metal mounting flange and the rubber. Your pipes will stillbe soft and squishy as you stated but still be leaking
                      ok thanks guys, ill check it out today

Comment

Working...
                      X