Alternate carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate carbs

This is purely hypothetical. I will salvage my original carbs and use what I have.
    But if I wanted to, could any set of matched carbs work as long as everything bolts up to my '78 gs750?
    I would image that extreme racer types have switched carbs for more performance.
    Or maybe some have switched for better economy.
    My recent issues have made me curious.
    Are there any aftermarket brands offering alternative options?

I have set of 4 carbs from 4 different sets of carbs. As long as the jetting & needles are the same it doesnt matter. These are 80 GS1100 34mm Cvs though. A combo of prior owners screwing up the pilot jet screw heads caused this

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
      Are there any aftermarket brands offering alternative options?
      No, but there are larger Mikuni and some Keihins that will fit, for more performance
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        I had pretty much assumed that if the carbs were matched and in sync, the spacing was right, and everything bolted up for the intake, it should work.

Comment

I just bought some Mikuni RS36 carbs for my '82 GS1100G. I want to run pods and the CV carbs can be tricky to set uo with anything but an airbox, whereas the RS36s are designed to work with pods. If you get the right set they are already spaced correctly for the bike. Apparently you get more power but I'm not so concerned about that. A stock GS1100G has more than enough for me! But new carbs can't hurt. You can get bolt-on Mikunis or Keihins for most GS models.

Comment

Working...
          X