VM's pilot fuel screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM's pilot fuel screw

I am building a set of VM's from a box of bits for my GS1000EN...finally cleared a blockage in the last pilot fuel screw hole, the needle that came out looks fine but there was something metal blocking the hole...it was cleared with a tiny wire (specifically for cleaning carbs) but the hole now is very slightly large than the other three carbs (0.09mm to be precise)...do any of you guys with tuning/carb rebuild experience think there will be a tuning issue here, or will the screw just have to be further in than the rest?...one last query..when the fuel screws are screwed in 100% (bottomed out) should I be able to feel/see the tip in the throat of the carb?..I don't with any of my carbs, don't want to screw them in to much to bottom them out. Reason I ask is I have seen a photo with a broke tip sticking through the hole into the throat.
    Any help always appreciated

RB

You should be fine for tunning, just like you said just dial it in a bit more. As for seeing the tip, usually you can't unless maybe the hole has already been widened. How did you measure the increased diameter??
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sure it wasn't tip of screw blocking the hole? Have been known to break off if over tightened. terrylee

Comment

It could well have been a tip, I have checked all the 4 screws and they look good, it may have been in there from an earlier break (couldn't find it when it finally dropped out). I bought the carbs as a box of bits (screws were in when i got them), there was a lot of damage that I can't explain except if some of the bits have been thrown about...the air screws looked like the carb bodies had been hammered over with the screws in, had to grind the top of the holes clear before I could unscrew them..I think the previous owner may have been stressed with them...lol As for measuring the hole size difference azr, the cleaning wires I have are 0.44mm for the smallest which fits the 3 OK carbs perfectly and the next size up 0.53mm fits the carb with the cleared blockage...0.53 - 0.44 = 0.09mm...sort of ball park figure

Anyway..all the holes are clear now so I'm pleased with todays progress

cheers for the replies

RB

Comment

agreed

Originally posted by azr View Post
          You should be fine for tunning, just like you said just dial it in a bit more. As for seeing the tip, usually you can't unless maybe the hole has already been widened. How did you measure the increased diameter??
          I made the pilot fuel screw hole bigger on 2 of 4 bodies getting them unstuck and haven't had any issues. It may be a coincidence, but those two cylinders (3 & 4) are actually easier to tune .

Comment

Working...
          X