Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There An Easy Way To Re Insatall 1983 gs450 carburetors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There An Easy Way To Re Insatall 1983 gs450 carburetors ?

I just recently aquired a 1983 Suzuki GS450L . I bought it from the original owner. It has 5,000 miles on it. He parked it in 1989 and it has sat under his carport since then. I bought it for $50.00 seemed like a good deal !!! I have worked on atv's and motorcycles since I was 3, so I tackled this bike head-on ! I got it to run and run very well on carburetor cleaner but it would never run on gasoline from the IV I had hooked up. I knew it was the carburetors. I decided to take them off. I like to have never got them out even after slipping the air box back (I must have not done it right because it only slipped back very little ) I did eventually get them out and eventually get the choke cable un-hooked. The slides were frozen up with varnish and the inside of the carburetors were varnished up as well. I took them apart and soaked everything in fuel injector cleaner and blew the jets out with compressed air and have them clean now. I took the rest of the carburetors apart and have them soaking in a mixture of ( 1 gallon of gasoline, 1 gallon diesel and 2 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil ) they have soaked for 24 hours now and they look great ! They are clean and it looks like all the other crud inside the carburetors has came loose and is settled in the bottom of the container. I am planning on blowing out the carburetors today and freshening up the diaphrams with marvel mystery oil and then re-assembling them. The part i am dreading is sliding them back into their spots to be re-attached to the bike !!

Is there an easy way to reconnect the carburetors to the bike and gently get them back into their spaces ? I got them out , it took 30 minutes to do that ... I know it will be a helluva time getting them back in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated ... Thanks ... Stephen

Welcome to the site, seems your on the right track, here is some reading for you, and grab the tutorial on how to rebuild your carbs.

Hi Mr. BUSARIDER,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X