Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb is Overflowing, have tried a few things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb is Overflowing, have tried a few things.

My left-most carburetor is spitting gas every couple minutes or so, when the bike is level on the center stand. I've read up on it and I've replaced the gasket, triple measured the float heights, switched out the float needle twice, and inspected the seat. The needles and seats are brand new. This just started happening and I've been working on the bike/carbs for a while. I'm wondering if it's a petcock issue. This is the carb without the vent on the upper housing because it has the choke lever there. Any experience? Again, it is not a constant flow of gas. I have a feeling I'll need to rebuild the petcock, I've heard they can be pretty shoddy.

Here's a a video of it happening. http://youtu.be/lnkMxreul5k

Sounds like the float is getting stuck. Try tapping the side of the bowl and see what happens.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Sounds like the float is getting stuck. Try tapping the side of the bowl and see what happens.
      I've also tried that, as well as venting the gas tank. I'm thinking more and more it's the petcock.

Comment

What bike are we talking about here? Is this a twin? Is that the carb your petcock is pulling vacuum from?

Comment

It can't be the tap as the same thing would happen on the other carbs plus it is the job of the float valve to stop the bowls overflowing. Have a go at shifting all the fuel level control stuff (needle, seat and float + pin) in to one of the other carbs - effectively do a swap - and see what happens. Plus I presume your overflow pipe in that carb hasn't been shortened?
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for your inputs

However, I came to realize that I am an idiot sometimes, and I found the problem. The float needle seat was not tightened down all the way
            So, if anyone has the same problem, tell them to make sure everything is tight inside the carburetor before they take it apart 6 or 7 times. However, all of my other tests proved that the carbs and the petcock are functioning properly. No more leaks, fully functional motorcycle FINALLY.
            Again, thanks for everyone's efforts to help the village idiot.

Comment

I am having an intermittent issue similar to this too on a GS 425L. But when it happens WAY more fuel comes out. Luch like you I came to teh conclusion that here is either an issue with the vacuum actuated petcock on the tank not shutting off or a sticky float on the left carb. The gas leaks out of the overflow tube, it's not consistent though, never when it's on the center stand, just the side stand and not every time. Probably a sticky float eh?

Comment

Working...
              X