No announcement yet.

1986 gs550ef twin carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone have a picture of where the rubber tubes go between each carb ? thanks

Comment

On Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/Bikecliff) you'll find a link called Where do these hoses go?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

For Janner, pics of the carbs looking from front to back. The two tubes are the overflow tubes the big port to the backside on the lefthand carb (as you face it) is the gas in. The smaller tube is the vacuum port:

Hope that helps.

cheers,
        spyug

Comment

Alright, alot of work has been done, haven't been on the site for a few months. I found the problem was a small piece of rust possibly from the fuel tank blocking the main jet screw in the carb. Cleaned out, rebuilt, started right up on four. Problem solved, of course a bigger problem arises.

With the engine running and carbs fully cleaned I moved on to taking the parts off to clean or repaint. While taking the exhaust off I noticed one of the bolts had broken off, and was stuck in the engine block. I tried welding another piece onto it but the bolt is completely deteriorated.

I bought the bike as a barebones project and can't afford the engine work as I don't have the tools to take apart and bore a new hole in the engine, so this project is on hold.

Moral of this rebuild was to check over EVERYTHING on the bike, especially bolts. I had the same problem with a bolt breaking off from the master cylinder, and if I had known the rebuild would cost more then a certifiable learner bike I would have saved up instead of buying a basket case.

Who needs a parts bike? I hear the EF model fairings and brackets are hard to come by.

Comment

Did you spray down any of the bolts with PB Blaster or other penetrating fluid? If not, get a can for future jobs; it will pay for itself very quickly.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Grey600 View Post
              Who needs a parts bike? I hear the EF model fairings and brackets are hard to come by.
              Believe it or not, you can drive the bike with a missing exhaust bolt. Plenty of guys do. It's not terminal.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                Believe it or not, you can drive the bike with a missing exhaust bolt. Plenty of guys do. It's not terminal.
                That's not really the problem. The rusted bolt is stuck in the engine block and falling apart, completely deteriorated. I'm not sure if the rust flakes would be getting into the cylinder if I ran it normally, but I didn't want to take the chance. The project is still on hold for now.

Comment

Yup. Tried every conventional method. unfortunately the bolt is mush and flaking away. have to drill it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X