78 750, VM pilot screw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 750, VM pilot screw???

So, on my vm carbs there are jets mounted outside the bowl in the center... Clymer manual says "preset from factory do not remove".... So i removed them.

they were all about 1 & 1/4 turns out. So i reinstalled them there.

next question... are these high rpm jets? How does one tune them? Do you have to do the blip test and see if the idle hangs up or dives... either way they should all be about the same right? What about the smaller screw jet on the side of the carb? Is this just the idle a/f mix? Basscliffs site only dives into cv carbs... so I'm a little behind the curve.

also... the adjusters at the top of the catbs is for vacuum balancing only... right?

I've found this very helpful, from Basscliff's site. (Big thank you to Basscliff)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf

Comment

You're the man. Last time I tried to load that page it only loaded to page 2... must've been an internet thing on my end.

Thanks!!!

Comment

They are called PILOT screws because they effect the PILOT curcuit of the carbs...which is about 90 % of what youll be running on anyways unless your really twisting the grip. All advice and personal experiences ( seeing that I have 2 of the 750s ) is that 1 turn out from lightly seated is the correct spot. Side MIXTURE ( what is called the air screws ) at 1 3/4 to 2 out as a bsaic setup to get her running and then you adjust from there .
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks chuck!

Comment

Working...
          X