petcock rebuild or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock rebuild or replace?

I've seen the price of petcocks but I've also heard it's a bad idea to try rebuilding them.
    If so, why is it a bad idea?

I'm not even sure mine is bad. It leaks in all positions with the fuel and vacuum lines off.
    I'm not sure what it does with them attached.

I think this is the kit I need for my 78 GS750.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Please advise.

Buy new. Replacement/rebuild components tend to be inferior quality. Buy new and don't worry about it for 20 more years.
    If it leaks in all positions it's trash. It should only run in PRIme without vacuum of the motor turning over. If it runs or dribbles in ON or REServe it's bad.

Comment

buy new from z1 http://www.z1enterprises.com/ and dont worry about it for a decade or more.

Comment

I guess the right answer is not always the one you want to hear. lol
        Thanks fellows. I'll get a new one.

And it does make sense that ON or RES would require vacuum to flow.
        Otherwise it would flood the carbs.
        I suppose I should have thought of that and realized my petcock was bad.

Comment

Buy new,rebuild kits may or may not have all you need to take care of your issue.I bought a kit,and a part I needed was not included,for a bit more I ended up replacing the petcock.

Comment

A new one from Boulevard Suzuki will cost you $75 and change.

A little more than double of what most rebuild kits cost.
            Unless you have a little experience with rebuilding these, you will
            probably find it a very frustrating task, and most aren't successful.
            A new petcock is peace of mind and money well spent.
            A least you don't have a '78, '79 GS1000C/EC/N/EN, a petcock for that
            rascal will cost you $254 and change!

Hard to believe, but look for yourself.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I'm very interested in some input on replacing the vacuum petcock with this HD petcock.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/330709107967...84.m1423.l2649

Using this adapter plate.
              http://www.z1enterprises.com/petcock...1.aspx?ID=1741

The price would be around $45 after shipping and it looks much better than the stock petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                I'm very interested in some input on replacing the vacuum petcock with this HD petcock.

Using this adapter plate.
                Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

The price would be around $45 after shipping and it looks much better than the stock petcock.
                That's a really great looking petcock!
                What are the functions, On and Off, if it's not a vacuum type you'll have to make sure you turn off the fuel each and every time you don't use it, otherwise you risk getting the carbs overflowing and gas in your oil.
                Ask me how I know.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  That's a really great looking petcock!
                  What are the functions, On and Off, if it's not a vacuum type you'll have to make sure you turn off the fuel each and every time you don't use it, otherwise you risk getting the carbs overflowing and gas in your oil.
                  Ask me how I know.
                  It looks like a three position cock to me.
                  I wish the outlet came out the left side instead of the bottom, but it would be fine as is.
                  I was worried that I might forget it a couple of times before getting used to shutting it off.
                  I think it would really only take leaving it on once, to sink in, though. lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X