No announcement yet.

78 gs750 carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those arent mine Josh. Those are what he has in there now..and your needle jets are in the maill due for delivery Saturday.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

They look OEM from something cuz they are stamped..self made ones i dont think anyone would bother to stamp them???
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        They look OEM from something cuz they are stamped..self made ones i dont think anyone would bother to stamp them???
        Yeah I see that stamping in there now...looks like "...3H" no idea...
        Odd.
        Thanks for the needle jets chuck! Oh hey whenever you think about it, would you mind snapping a pic of that seat pan you were telling me about? Does it have hinges on it??

Comment

You know, I wonder if those were out of a early early 77 "B" model? Those had slightly different carbs. Mainly in the needle. It wasn't spring loaded. I had a set of 77 "B" carbs but it's been so long I can't recall if they had slots or not...
          It wouldn't surprise me...

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
            Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice!!! I'm about to go out and work on the carbs some more. The only real problem that I can see right now that I am having trouble finding a solution for is the fact that my needles do not have any slots for adjustment or an eclip. From what I can find it looks like it's stock according to all of the parts break downs I can find. If I get a minute I'll post a picture of the needles so you all can see what I'm talking about. Aside from that, I'll be heading over to my local shop to pick up some jets tomorrow at lunch.\

Edit - Here's a picture of the needles. If it becomes necessary, I have some .005 shims that I can use raise the needle if I end up being lean. If I am rich.......I'm screwed.

Guys,

All those fuel screws have the tips snapped off - are the tips still in the carbs?

I've never seen a Mikuni with needles like that
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Guys,

All those fuel screws have the tips snapped off - are the tips still in the carbs?

I've never seen a Mikuni with needles like that
              Actually, those aren't the fuel screws, they are the air screws and they are machined that way. The passages in the carbs are clear.

I have never seen this type of needle before either. The marking is 53H and in the online diagrams at bike bandit and several other places they appear to be stock but when I got to looking really closely at everything they fit really poorly in the slide and the arm that captures the needle in the slide so I don't know.

Comment

Yeah those are the air screws...

Those needles are indeed odd, they don't look like they're too slow or anything, taper looks roughly like a set from a set of VMs but yeah..never seen those before.

Comment

Sorry brother...The vms I have as donors have the stock 1000 needles...5DL36-3.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Sorry brother...The vms I have as donors have the stock 1000 needles...5DL36-3.
                    No worries. Thanks for looking, I really appreciate it.

Now that I've got new orings for the carbs I may try to reassemble with the current needles and see what happens. Maybe having the pilot circuit functioning correctly will help with the rest of it. If it doesn't work I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy with this bike for the weekend and will get some new needles ordered.

Comment

Working...
                    X