82 GS850 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 Issues

Hey all. This site is incredible. Purchased an 850 from a friend in somewhat ill-repair and have been working on getting it in good condition with a friend of mine who's much more mechanically inclined. We've ended up replacing the stator, the starter motor (which had shorted and burned up), cleaned carbs thoroughly as per the guides, new petcock, changed spark plugs and just recently replaced spark plug caps.

As of the now the bike starts, maintains a charge on the battery, and idles just fine. In idle though it doesn't seem to want to push past 5k or so revs. In attempting to diagnose this we noticed that when we removed the spark plug cap from the farthest right cylinder (fourth), there was no change to RPMs or to the way the bike ran at all...as if it's not firing. But it has gas, and there is definitely spark to the plug. We tried swapping coil wires to make sure it wasn't a faulty coil and it still didn't fire. He had noticed there was low voltage coming from one of the coils so we had rigged a relay as per the " Coil Relay Modification " on Bikecliff's site. The coils are now getting full voltage.

Other than this cylinder not really seeming to fire I can tell that the right exhaust pipe that comes from cylinder 4 has less pressure coming through the pipe than the other side. I'm assuming that's BECAUSE the cylinder isn't acting as it should, but perhaps there's something obstructing the path of the exhaust?

The odd thing is when the airbox comes off, it runs like a dream. That would then point to a carb/mixture problem but after fiddling with all the carb's mixtures, and putting the airbox back on, it fails to maintain that fourth cylinder firing.

We're kinda stumped. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Valve adjustment done?

Airbox sealed up?

Air filter not over oiled?

Running better with the airbox off indicates a rich mixture-really rich. What jet sizes did you find when you cleaned the carbs?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Haven't touched the valves, yet. We haven't sealed the airbox but I do have the stripping necessary for it...and I know for a fact I overoiled the air filter. When I got new K&N filter I knew I should be oiling it with the little plug of oil it came with. Except I didn't read their directions fully, as I used the whole plug and they said you should only use half.

We figured the jet sizes could be interfering somewhere so we swapped the ones that were in the bike before (180) to 170. Nothing seemed to change. I ran it a bit today and it seems like it's fine till about 3k - after which there's a dead zone where the throttle won't produce any change in the bike...it sags there, until I bottom throttle out and it picks up and goes from 3k to like 6.5k+.
      Could those things involving the airbox/air intake cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by Damien View Post
        Haven't touched the valves, yet. We haven't sealed the airbox but I do have the stripping necessary for it...and I know for a fact I overoiled the air filter. When I got new K&N filter I knew I should be oiling it with the little plug of oil it came with. Except I didn't read their directions fully, as I used the whole plug and they said you should only use half.

We figured the jet sizes could be interfering somewhere so we swapped the ones that were in the bike before (180) to 170. Nothing seemed to change. I ran it a bit today and it seems like it's fine till about 3k - after which there's a dead zone where the throttle won't produce any change in the bike...it sags there, until I bottom throttle out and it picks up and goes from 3k to like 6.5k+.
        Could those things involving the airbox/air intake cause this?
        170-180 main jets I believe this bike should have like 115's maybe someone will chime in , but if it runs better with out the air box the big jets make since
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Those 170 and 180 jets are the PILOT AIR JETS, not the main jets.
          In fact, changing them from 180 to 170 will richen the pilot (idle) mixture, probably making your problem just a bit worse.

To see what the main jets are, you will need to remove the float bowls and read the numbers on the jets.

There are obviously no jets in this picture, but the main jet would live in the larger hole near the top of the picture.

Another suspect item would be float level. A common problem is reading the distance to the wrong part of the float. You measure to the BOTTOM of the step, not the top.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ill crack them open at some point and take a look. The suggestions made earlier about the airbox/air filter being sealed...im still curious to know if those would stop the bike from breaking 3.5k rpms until full throttle?

Comment

Do the simple stuff first. Always.

Valves and air filter
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Yes, this.

#4 could be not firing because of a valve not closing fully (no clearance with the cam), causing decreased or no compression. This will in turn make the other cylinders run worse. You cannot diagnose jetting until air is moving through the carbs correctly. Valves must be opening and closing correctly, and the intake system must be sealed.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

After adjusting the valves, synchronize the carburetors.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X