Old Gas Disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Gas Disposal

Based on what I've read, I'm going to empty the old gas that's been sitting in the bike's fuel tank and put it in the Jeep tomorrow as neither of my lawnmowers are able to run right now. If I do that (the gas has been sitting since September), should I pour some STP gas treatment in after it? There's only a gallon or so to put in but I can't afford to kill the Jeep right now either as that's the vehicle I'm taking to Ohio .
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

A fuel injected car will have no problem burning gas from Sept.
    Then again...depends on how new the Jeep is.

Comment

Just dump it in there and DRIVE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Use it to start the braai, (BBQ for you lot )

Comment

Start a bon fire and get a squirt bottle and sit back and give the fire squirts;;;playing with fire is fun.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            Use it to start the braai, (BBQ for you lot )
            Just make sure you let it burn off before you cook over those coals. Rob and I made that mistake last year. Used some nasty gas to keep some cheap garbage charcoal going...all the burgers tasted like varnished gasoline...bummer.

Just toss it in the damn truck and go Scott!! Even an older carbureted car will run on stuff our bikes won't. Heck I used to use it in the lawnmower..
            Just goes to show how delicate the tolerances were in these old bikes, and then people wonder why they have to rejet for a pipe...

Comment

Thanks guys. I will do that after I get back from doing my final out-processing of the base and picking up the bike trailer.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

If you do not wanna put it in your jeep. Your neighbors lawn will do. hahah But it will run fine in your jeep.

Comment

Get some galvanized pipe nipples...say 3/4 X 6 inch and some caps. Cap off an end and fill with gas and cap off the other end. Get a nice hot roaring fire going and stuff one down into the red hot coals..stand back a good ways and watch the fire works in about 10 minutes or less.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Make sure the jeep has at least 1/2 tank

Comment

Get an old hand pump up yard sprayer..you know that one with the handle you pump like bycicle pump. Anyways, pressurise the gallon of gas in that..pour some gas in a circle around the sprayer in about a 3 or 4 ft circle and light the ring... Stand back about 50 yards or so and shoot it with your deer rifle. BBQ propane tanks are a BLAST as well if you like watching things explode. But stay back at least 100 yards on the propane though.

Comment

Why don't you just leave it in the bike and top it off with fresh gas. It's probably fine, and even if it's not 100%, It'll just run through, possibly slightly underperforming.
                        -1980 GS1100 LT
                        -1975 Honda cb750K
                        -1972 Honda cl175
                        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Tom, that's actually what I had to do. The petcock was frozen stuck probably due to the weather we've had. I went ahead and put the tank on the bike and will drain it once I get to Ohio. I'll probably go ahead and replace the petcock as well but will see after i clean it up first.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                          X