Carb Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Boots

I am doing the boots and O-Rings this weekend. I got all new from Z1. Any tips on getting the 30 year old boots off? Those screws are not going to come out easy. I have an impact driver so I'll be using that. Finding space might be an issue in there. Anyway, I would be thankful for any tips from past experience.

turn hammer sideways on impact drive on cyl 2 an 3

if the part thats coming off is no good (rubber boots) a lil heat works too...thats how i got my stator cover off (was all metal though)

Comment

If you can get one screw off, you can turn the boot to help loosen the second.

Comment

thanks for the help!

Comment

For the stubborn center screws, you can come in at a straighter angle with an extension and battery/airbox removed.
          Hit it like you mean it! BIG hammer helps.

Eric

Comment

I got 1 boot off last night, The other ones are stripped to hell. Im going to have to dremmel them to flat heads and try again or cut the head off and use vice grips.

Comment

Remember to use ALLEN HEAD screws when you install the new boots.

Of course, you'll never have to take them off again, but IT'S A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!

Comment

I was warned not to use an impact driver. This worked for you okay and didn't strip the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclebaby View Post
                  I was warned not to use an impact driver. This worked for you okay and didn't strip the engine?
                  Why not?
                  I have been using this method for over 30 years, it always works.

Eric
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
                    Remember to use STAINLESS STEEL ALLEN HEAD screws when you install the new boots.

Of course, you'll never have to take them off again, but IT'S A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!
                    Fixed it for you. And never say never. I removed mine when I rebuilt the top end on my off-brand bike.

Comment

You could use a chisel on the side of the screw head and tap it with a hammer (a glancing blow), I've done this many times with satisfactory results with screws that were rounded out. Hopefully you'll be able to get one free for each of the rest of your boots, if you do, then you can rotate the boot and free the other one.
                      Good luck!
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        You could use a chisel on the side of the screw head and tap it with a hammer (a glancing blow), I've done this many times with satisfactory results with screws that were rounded out. Hopefully you'll be able to get one free for each of the rest of your boots, if you do, then you can rotate the boot and free the other one.
                        Good luck!

Yes this!
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, I used an old punch that I ground to an edge. 90° to the face of the head, at 1:00 on the screw head. A good rap to turn the screw counter clockwise. Two or three hits to break it free, then out it comes easy. Had to do this on most of my case screws as well.

Remember, these screws are NOT SAE Phillips , they are JIS, they tend to round out if you use a regular American sae bit. Add thirty years of neglect, ... ya, well. ..
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Hand impact driver is the solution. Just got a bunch of badly mangled screws out of my carbs yesterday with it. I wouldn't put my air impact wrench on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                              Hand impact driver is the solution. Just got a bunch of badly mangled screws out of my carbs yesterday with it. I wouldn't put my air impact wrench on the engine.
                              This is what I used to remove all the JIS screws from my carbs. Much easier to use than an air gun and easier to control. Does require a decent sized hammer and a steady hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X