No announcement yet.

Carb Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those manifold screws are so soft that if you take a phillips bit and tap it into them before using the slam hammer.
    they will become the deeper phillips screws.

Eric

Comment

Use penetrating oil on it well before you want to take it apart. Kroil is the best penetrating oil I have tried, by a wide margin.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        For the stubborn center screws, you can come in at a straighter angle with an extension and battery/airbox removed.
        Hit it like you mean it! BIG hammer helps.

Eric

Exactly how I did it, worked great, the real trick is, not to get tempted to try and break them free without the use of the impact screwdriver, and booger them up, they are soft, and will strip quickly, making the impacts job even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Those manifold screws are so soft that if you take a phillips bit and tap it into them before using the slam hammer.
          they will become the deeper phillips screws.

Eric
          Like so.

Whack it with a hammer BEFORE you start.
          Then, you get plenty of grip on the head.

Eric

Comment

I got them on! I used a small chisel and hammer in the groove and it turned them right out. All my struggles and thats all it took. Thanks for everyones help. The new boots have my idle too high. I need to lower it now. Which way on the idle adjustment knob to lower?

Comment

Now replace them with the stainless allen heads..youll be gald you did.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
                I got them on! I used a small chisel and hammer in the groove and it turned them right out. All my struggles and thats all it took. Thanks for everyones help. The new boots have my idle too high. I need to lower it now. Which way on the idle adjustment knob to lower?
                Congrats. Counter clockwise to lower idle.
                And the stainless steel allen head screws goes for all the screws to the carbs. Do it whilst you can versus when you have no other choice.

Comment

Working...
                X