GS450L My 1st Bike Just Making Sure I Am On The Right Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L My 1st Bike Just Making Sure I Am On The Right Track

I just bought my first bike, it's a 1981 gs450l. It has and idle issue. I just moved the bike from hawaii to colorado. It had been sitting 3yrs. I cleaned the tank and thought I cleaned the carbs. When i first fire it up it runs fine. Once it warms up the idle bounces or stalls out and even some times revs up to 3000-4000 rpm. I did take for a ride around the block and it seems to fall flat and as the rpm climbs it seems like it cleans itself out and takes off. I think i need to repull the carbs install all new orings, replace the o-rings on the intake boots, replace the vaccum line from the petcock to the carb. Does this seem like right path to take? I have read several post on this problem and I haven't found a concrete answer.

This seems like the right path to take, at least for starters.
    Doing all of the other neglected maintenance would be a good idea as well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds correct to me, as well.

Another thing that you should do is check the charging system. Many if not most of them, need a good cleaning of the connections and verify that the R/R is doing its job.

Comment

Your list is somewhat accurate, not quite complete, though.

You mention replacing o-rings in the carbs. Before you do that, you should DIP the carbs first. Note that "dipping" is not merely getting them wet, in involves SOAKING them for 24 hours (each), then spraying a bit of carb cleaner and compressed air through all the little passages in the carbs and the jets, then finally installing the new o-rings and re-assembling the carbs. You will need to synchronize the carbs after taking them apart.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Another twin is good

+1 to the proper cleaning advice above, you definitely need to do it, and yes www.cycleorings.com will get your O rings (get the combo kit).

You possibly have a vacuum/intake leak by the sounds of it too, but get the carbs clean and valves adjusted first, then go from there.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

thanks for the help. i strip the carbs apart and let them sit, then take them to work and blow them out. i will have to research synchronize the carbs. my dad use to ride an 83 gs750 with a turbo, but do to back problems he had to move to a cruiser for better seating position. i would have him help me but he lives in california and i live in colorado.

Comment

could valves being out of adjustment cause the bouncing idle or the fact the bike bogs from idle to 3,000 rpm then it takes off?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
                could valves being out of adjustment cause the bouncing idle or the fact the bike bogs from idle to 3,000 rpm then it takes off?
                It's more likely that you are jetted too rich in your pilot circuits. I'm guessing that your altitude in Colorado is higher than Hawaii. Higher altitudes require leaner jetting due to the thinner air.

Comment

so, i worked on my bike yesterday. pulled the carbs, found tons of crap still in them. cleaned them, blew air throught the holes. installed new o rings. reassembled them. My friend was helping me and he loosened the chain timing tensioner bolts, for some reason... i retightended the bolts before he got it completely out. now the bike cranks, but wont start. I repulled the carbs and rechecked everything and they look good. i tightened up the tensioner before i even tried to start it. any ideas where i go from here? your help is appreciated. is it possible loosening the tension caused it to jump timing even without spin over the motor?

Comment

If the bolts were just loosened and the tensioner wasn't actually pulled away from the cylinders, the spring tension should have kept it in place.

Did you prime the carbs after cleaning? If not, it will take quite a bit of cranking before enough vacuum gets formed to open the fuel tap long enough to fill the float bowls...

sigpic

Comment

i didnt prime the carbs. i did however crank it over quite a few times. i plan on cracking the float bowl drains tonight and check for fuel. the only other thing that was changed was i am using pod filters instead of the stock box, due to the fact the box was cracked. should i pull the carbs and triple check them?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
                        i didnt prime the carbs. i did however crank it over quite a few times. i plan on cracking the float bowl drains tonight and check for fuel. the only other thing that was changed was i am using pod filters instead of the stock box, due to the fact the box was cracked. should i pull the carbs and triple check them?
                        You'll most likely need to richen the mixture due to the pods, so that could be contributing.

Definitely prime the carbs first though before doing anything else. If it's the fuel tap with pri on it, put it there for 30 seconds or so, or if it's like mine, there's a little brass flat head screw on the fuel tap that you open to prime as there's no prime on the tap itself.

sigpic

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 81gs450l,

Carefully and thoroughly go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". You will find tutorials, tips, and proper procedures in the links below. You have a 30 year old machine that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Did you do both carbs in one day? If they were as gunked up as you allude to I'll be they need a thorough dipping, not just a spraying down. You might want to redo them to be safe.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome! These folks will help you get your Suzuki buddy feeling better soon.
                              Hey yall- You didn't give the "Valves" speech.
                              Wow. HI to CO. What a scenery bummer. Navy? Army?
                              Loved the days spent in HI while on Navy Leave.
                              -Bookmon

Comment

Working...
                              X