Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E petcock

Ok, folks..

Here is a pic of the petcock on the tank of my 1980 GS1100E. Is this the way it should be, or is something amiss ? (aka, missing).

You likely got the deluxe "leverless" 1980 petcock- has many interesting features.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

suhwheet.. so its all good then.. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        You likely got the deluxe "leverless" 1980 petcock- has many interesting features.
        like self cleaning.....
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic
        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
          like self cleaning.....
          Hmm, that wasn't one the features I was refering to.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Light weight? Streamlined? What else could you have been thinking of...?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Light weight? Streamlined? What else could you have been thinking of...?
              I was thinking it wouldn't snag my shoelace when I hop off!
              1981 gs650L

Comment

There is good reason this type petcock was in service for only a short time.

Comment

keep typing.. I'm reading....

Comment

The fact is it's a very unpopular petcock. You have to use a screwdriver to switch it from "On" to "Prime" and hope your fuel gauge works as it doesn't allow for a reserve function. Maybe someone more familiar than me will come forward with the recently posted diagram of the switch positions and their functions.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

well, here's the deal.. I'm prepping to start this bike up, after its been sitting for over 10 years.. My previous bike was a BMW K-bike with fuel injection, so this petcock thing is new to me.

do I need to do anything with this PC, when starting the bike ?

Comment

It has a prime function, but in my experience it probably won't work since it's dependent on a 32 year old rubber check valve to hold the diaphragm open once you bump the engine. Be prepared to take a pull on it to apply vacuum to the petcock and fill the bowls.
                        -1980 GS1100 LT
                        -1975 Honda cb750K
                        -1972 Honda cl175
                        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

There is a '80 GS1100E owners manual on BassCliff's web-site. It does show the leverless petcock on page 18 and shows the "proper" position which matches your picture, so whatever other position it will turn to must be the "prime." Prime allows the fuel to flow gravity feed style, it is supposed to be used to "prime" your carbs after the bike had been sitting for a spell.
                          You can start and run it in prime, but don't leave in it in prime with the engine off as it could cause your carbs to overflow and get gas into the cylinders and your oil. Ask me how I know?
                          Here's your owners manual.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

That would make sense, but this petcock has a small air bleed that's open in the run position and closed in the prime position - that is all turning the leverless lever does. Theoretically, when the air bleed is closed in pri position, the diaphragm will remain pulled down after you bump the engine to create some initial vacuum.
                            -1980 GS1100 LT
                            -1975 Honda cb750K
                            -1972 Honda cl175
                            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

ok, bike is not starting. I've got spark, and I manually fed some gas into each spark plug chamber, re-installed plugs, turned it over, and it fired up
                              for a short duration.

I'm not getting fuel to the carbs.. I removed the tank/hoses, and
                              extended the larger fuel hose (gas line in) directly into a can of gas, and
                              the smaller hose (vacuum) as well. (eliminating any probs with tank petcock)

Turned the engine over, and no go.. I'm not getting any vacuum/suction..

Any ideas what I should check/test next ?
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X