X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suzukiSam View Post
    I'm not getting fuel to the carbs.. I removed the tank/hoses, and
    extended the larger fuel hose (gas line in) directly into a can of gas, and
    the smaller hose (vacuum) as well. (eliminating any probs with tank petcock)

Turned the engine over, and I'm not getting any vacuum/suction to draw the gas in..

Any ideas what I should check/test next ?
    Just block off vac line at carb nipple- it's not doing anything (except confuse you) with your can of gas and extended fuel line setup. You could get fuel running with a siphon effect, but this would likely be messy. Best to find funnel or somesuch with outlet you can jam the fuel line in, then pour gas in funnel where it would fill carbs- won't take much to fill them. This will at least supply fuel for test start. After reading the comments about the leverless petcock, I'd get something else ASAP
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you have the vacuum line from the tank connected to the nipple on the #2 carburetor?
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Just re-read your post and saw you did.
        How did you put the fuel line into the gas can and where did you extend the vacuum line to? The carbs don't suck gas into them, you need gravity to feed them.
        If it were me, I would manually pull (meaning suck) on the vacuum line while the fuel line is into a gas can. If the fuel flows, the petcock works. You shouldn't have to pull very hard on it. If you end up with a mouthful of gas, then the petcock is junk.
        Last edited by Tom R; 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          There is a '80 GS1100E owners manual on BassCliff's web-site. It does show the leverless petcock on page 18 and shows the "proper" position which matches your picture, so whatever other position it will turn to must be the "prime." Prime allows the fuel to flow gravity feed style, it is supposed to be used to "prime" your carbs after the bike had been sitting for a spell.
          You can start and run it in prime, but don't leave in it in prime with the engine off as it could cause your carbs to overflow and get gas into the cylinders and your oil. Ask me how I know?
          Here's your owners manual.
          http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ers_Manual.pdf
          Not this again....lol Here is what I know and think....When I got my 80gs1100e, I got it home, it had a crusty gas tank, brittle old lines and a petcock that I just "knew" had a lever that was broken off.....until I read the MANUAL Yes, I read the ANNOUNCEMENTS....and eagerly described my new bike to you all. In few days This Basscliff fella sent me this AMAZING MEGA WELCOME that included more information on my GS than I could read in a week! Holy Awesomeness I thought!!! There I got a free manual for my bike that.(as in above post) described to me how I was not really missing my lever.... I learned "apperently she dont have one"....I also learned how it works....a vaccuum operated thingy I would have never figured out for the life of me. I would have kept dumping gas in to my engine for till it was comin out the handlebars, OR would have just burned up two bateries trying to start it and wondering why no gas was coming out!!
          Point is
          1-I read manual and learned how petcock works
          2- I learned to take apart my petcock, clean it and reassemble. It works good with mouth vaccuum suck(gas flows) stop sucking, gas stops. NICE. I have not put this unit into operation on running bike yet so prime function may be an issue.TBD
          I admit, I just bought a new one because of the amount of effort I am putting into this bike, I am not gonna have a Sh*t petcock on there....
          3- I suggest a leverless petcock tutorial on Bikecliffs page (oops did I just volunteer?) lol well just dont have time for it now, but I would.
          4- I wonder if there could be a new WELCOME or HELLO, START HERE at the top of the GSR page that VERY CLEARLY shows new members to
          A-post first in new owners so they get the mega welcome
          B-Add location and signiture
          C-whatever other newb "musts" there are to enter into the site smoothly.
          No one(it seems, I did tho) reads the "before you post anywhere read this"
          I am sure you long timers on the site have addresses these issues over and over and over....anyone doing any forum upgrades or anything?
          I am new too and ask noob questions but I really do try to search manuals/internet and the forum for answers....I know it takes a long time to get familiar with a gs if one has never had one, and how eager we are to fix our problems on our bikes...slow and steady is the only way. and doing it the right way.
          This site is second to none for having true experts that dont just sit on their azzes talking about their own bike but expertly helping others. kudos to you guys. This is such a niche bike with it range of years being wide yet basic design/function relatively the same.
          Wow, I really went on a rant there.....I could have posted in about 8 different threads...lol all I care about today is getting in on the riding game! sorry,and thank you.lol

Comment

So, in summary, RTFM ? thanks.

I filled the bowls directly using the funnel method suggested, (thanks) and
            she fired up eventually..

thanks..

Comment

Working...
            X