Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I figured it out. Can you tell the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I figured it out. Can you tell the difference?

1982 gs550l rebuilt ignition, carbs etc...everything this websirlte and ppl on it have told me to. Long story short it still wouldn't run. Only full throttle would it idle up until the bowls were about out of gas then its run fine. Now when i say it'd only rub full throttle I mean only cylinder one would be warm and have hot exhaust. And yes one thru four were all getting gas and sparking when surpose to. Now I couldn't figure this out so I said screw it ill clean the carbs for the 8th time (not exaggerating. Cleaned way to many time) so I'm pulling all the jets out etc. Finish cleaning everything up reinstalling jets when i noticed...

Can you see what I see?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM.

No, because linkee no workee...

Originally posted by Defore View Post
    Can you see what I see?

Comment

Lol oh no hold up

Comment

No picture, can't see.

Comment

What about now!?

Comment

I can see the one with the dirty ugly jets, guess I'll have to click on the links to see the other picts.

Comment

one don't have any holes in it ? and one has 3 holes, where the other 2 only have 2 holes, and the far right one looks shorter ?

Comment

That's the only pic it wasn't working earlier. But yes the 3 jets have 6 holes total on the sides. If were looking from the top where the flat head goes there's 2 holes at 12 and 6 o'clock then 1 hole at 3 and 9 o'clock. Those jets where in cylinders 2 3 and 4, which are also the cylinders that only fire (headers get warm) when the bowls are almost out of gas. Now cylinder one is the one with the jet that has no holes others then the one going straight threw it, which is the cylinder that always gets warm. But I mean of course the bike will only run at full throttle if its only running on one cylinder. So please help me someone! This is the only thing keeping this bike off the road. Its also the only transportation I have since my camaro has a hole in the radiator. But that's just gona have to wait. So anyway does anyone have any ideas or think that this is my problem? Unless since I have different pilot jets I should go more then 2 turns out on my mix screw? Ahhhhhh! Goin crazy
                Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Well, this is a very interesting theory, but if you had disassembled and cleaned carbs , how come you didn't notice this before? My spare carbs have pilot jets with 6 holes each. Do you still have those rubber plugs ?Anyways, I've found Bar's stop leak works good on radiators.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

And to further Toms inquiry..if you disassembled and cleaned them FULLY, why are they so filthy?
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What rubber plugs? And I've been cleaning rewiring and rebuilding this thing since this time last year. I'm in the army so i was away for a few months so on and off I'm been doing this. The carbs had fuel ran threw it before I left and all I did was run it out of gas so I'm guessing just from that with this cool new gas were using it got a lot more filthy then I thought it would have. And I completely over looked the jets and never noticed it. I've moved 3 times in the past year so things tend to be forgotten and over looked. Anyway could this possibly be my problem?

Comment

That and the fact that ( in my opinion ) your probably gonna have to redo the carbs again..My guess is that the bodies little passages got some corrosion in them from sitting again..And have you checked the plugs for fouling and sparking??
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sparking and new. This bike hasn't ran since 94 so I've replace about everything.

Comment

Then its in the carbs my brother...tear them down again and do the full on 24 hr soak for the bodies. poke every hole with a fine wire, lots of carbs spray rinsing, and compressed air to blow them out. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but thats what it all sounds like to me. When the jets come out of the dip, I take a green dish scrubbie and cleant the exteriors and then poke every hole real good..then rinse and air.

Comment

And double check the jets and such to be sure the right sizes are in all the carbs..check this chart for your bike and year....

Comment

Working...
                              X