1983 Gs850G Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Gs850G Help!

hi guys, i have an 850 which i have been riding for 10 years. 2 years ago i had a major wiring disaster which made me have to scrap the old wiring harness, and get a new one. the new one was from a similar bike from around the same year.
    last year, i was riding on the hiway, goin about 75 when my bike suddenly bogged down to an idle. any time/every time after that, when i start the bike up, it will idle fine, but if i give it gas, it just bogs down. when i release the gas, the engine revvs up for a minute, then goes back to idle. if i ever-so-slowly, the rpms will increase up to a point (tach is not working) then bog back down. the highest i can rev the engine is with the choke on full. naturally i figured this to be a carb problem. i pulled the carbs off, and cleaned them. put them back on, and the bike does the same thing. so i pulled them off again, took them to my dad's, and WE cleaned them. put them back on. no change. took them off again, and had my friend come over, and we cleaned them again. my carbs are cleaner than anybody on this forum's carbs. no change in result. my dad thinks its electrical. i wonder if i should rebuild the carbs with new jets/floats. here's the issue, either route from here (electrical, or carbs) will start costing me money. i am broke. what do you guys think?

I think you should follow the link to Basscliff's site and do some reading. There are many possibilities to what's causing you problem- worst, some of these work as a tag team to confuse you. These bikes have serious electrical issues that can pop up at any/the worst time. Put your location in your signature, in case someone on here is nearby.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You didn't like what I suggested in your identical post in the Electrical forum, so I won't waste any of your time here.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lots of good info dealing with all the same problems you describe here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        You might have to spend a bit of money to get it running right though, so be forewarned.

Comment

ok, thanks for the replies guys, looks like its back to troubleshooting, sorry about the double post, but i figured i'd put it in both, as it could either be a carb, or an electrical problemo... today i will probably make sure my coils are getting the juice they want/deserve!

Comment

Working...
          X