Which "T" Connectors, Bowl Screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which "T" Connectors, Bowl Screws?

1. Somehow the plastic T-connectors between my carbs were all chewed up, and I don't trust them. They were also covered in that awful liquid gasket stuff, which tells me that the sloppy mechanic who touched them last had leakage issues.

Which connectors should I buy to replace them?

This: http://www.z1enterprises.com/Fuel-Li...dual-2862.aspx

Or this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/Fuel-Li...ctor-1901.aspx

Would I be right in guessing that Z1 is the best source for these?

2. Also the heads on the float bowl screws are a stripped-out mess. Removing three of them was a delicate challenge with the impact driver. Should I replace them with new Phillips head screws or Allen heads? Is zinc-coated ok or should I buy SS?

Thanks.

You say plastic Tees, as in multiple. I can remember 3 plastic Tees between my carbs: the two vent tees between 1/2 and 3/4, and the fuel tee between 2/3. Which one are you looking for (or all)? The other pipes between 1/2 and 3/4 are metal with o-rings on my carbs.

The vent tees are still available new from Suzuki, if a bit spendy at $14 each (that's Boulevard's price). The fuel tee is no longer available. Z1 did sell a brass replacement, specialty fuel tee, but I do not recall the 550 being on the compatibility list. Although the 550-850 all used BS32s, the spacing was different between some models.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. It's a tee between 2 and 3, as shown in the photo below. I thing it's the fuel tee: the stem of the tee is metal, the arms are plastic, and it's 38mm long across the arms.

Also in the photo is a rubber washer that came off when I was disassembling carb 4. I'm pretty sure it didn't come from inside the carb as nothing like it shows in the tutorial photos, but I can't figure out where it belongs. There is some crusty residue on the outside of the washer (hard water from washing the bike?). Any help on this piece would be much appreciated.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I assume you are asking about the OEM plastic tees between 1/2 & 3/4 ?

Those are simply vent hose tees so unless they are totally trashed, I would think they should work just fine - no reason to so seal them, they have an o-ring seal that pushes into the carb body. The o-rings are included in Robert Barr's cycleoring kit.

The rubber coated metal tee between carbs 2/3 is the fuel line connection, is that the one you are trying to replace?
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
          Thanks, Mike. It's a tee between 2 and 3, as shown in the photo below. I thing it's the fuel tee: the stem of the tee is metal, the arms are plastic, and it's 38mm long across the arms.

Also in the photo is a rubber washer that came off when I was disassembling carb 4. I'm pretty sure it didn't come from inside the carb as nothing like it shows in the tutorial photos, but I can't figure out where it belongs. There is some crusty residue on the outside of the washer (hard water from washing the bike?). Any help on this piece would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I was typing while you were posting...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

That rubber washer looks like the seal on the drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Z1 might have a suitable replacement for that tee, but you'll have to take some measurements and check with them. The products you posted earlier are not appropriate. Look at this one:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

And, on Ebay:

This one looks more like the size for a 550, but I'm just going by memory (though that was just last week). Plus they conveniently included whatever measurements you need to match.

This looks more like the Z1 one:

I think that plastic ring goes between the carb body and the gasket. Look just to the left of the pilot jet tube in this picture (a little under where the yellow of the pencil meets the wood):

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yes the rubber ring went in the rim of the carb above the float bowl gasket.

The fuel tee is unobtainable through the dealer. I ordered one from motorcyclecarbs.com - it cost $60 with shipping but that's life. Old bikes might seem cheap until you need parts. The parts are priced like fine art at Sotheby's.

Comment

Working...
                X