jetting or air/fuel screw??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetting or air/fuel screw??

Hi guys, I have a bit of an issue. I have a 83 gs650. It has pod filters and drag pipes. It seems to be running lean, as you'd think but I have three sets of main jets i have been working with. I don't know the exact size, buti have a drill press and drill set. So after the mods I pulled the stock jets out and put the butt end of a #55 drill in it for sizing and that seems to fit right. I do not remember the decimal. So I took one other set of jets and started drilling and riding, checking the plugs the whole time all the way up to a #47 drill.. I think that's close to a 1/16 drill if I remember correctly. And the bike is still running lean. I would ride it and it would break up at around 5500 - 6000.. I know sounds like the rubber plugs are out, but not the case...... Side note, if the rubber plugs are loose I took some heat shrink on them and hit them with a lighter to shrink the heat shrink, I also mushroomed the ends of the plugs, wiped them off and they work great.. just a little cheap trick..... As I was saying. It breaks up. The carbs have been cleaned and everything is good. No clogging, floats are good. I also took off the blow by tubes from the carbs cuz I read they create a vortex or something and plays hell on tuning.. so I started to adjust the air/fuel screw. I took them out (counter clockwise) to 4 1/4.. I think that is a lot but not sure do to the mods. It seemed to ride fine, not breaking up or dead spots. It just seemed like it was only about 75% power. I put it away for the night, got up this morning and it won't start.. 1st tried with no choke then choked it and no dice.. also when I rode it it took a few secs to rev down, in neutral and under load.. so I'm thinking its still lean.. any suggestions??
Working...
X