Carb Synching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Synching

Started to synch my carbs on my gs850. The guy who I borrowed the kit from only had 3 adapters that screw into the boots. So that presented a problem from the get go.

In my cylmer it said that there is no way to adjust the # 3 carb and that all other carbs should be synched off of #3. So, I checked #3 and the ball bearing in the kit was all the way at the top. Then I went and adjusted all the other 3 carbs to have the ball at the top, like with carb 3. Now... the bike won't start nearly as easy as it use to. It is great above 4000rpms, but there are idling issues and there is a a pause in the rev around 2000-3000 rpms. Any ideas on what to do to resolve this?

Scudder

carb

i ran in to this on my 1100. go back to the adjustment for the #2 carb and back it all the way off till ball comes in to range at that point i would restart at the # 1 and work to #4. bikecliff has a good info page i all ways find helpfull. but that was just what worked for me. drop them money on a carb pro II ITS WORTH IT TRUST ME.

this is the best site i can give you to help you. he has a lot of great info and hes a board member too. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    oh and don't drive your self nuts trying to get all for carb 100% the same close is fine, if your running air pods set all for the same. if your running a stack air box the 2&3 carb should be a lil but lower the 1 & 4.

oh and z1 enterprises makes a tool for $15.99 that makes adjusting the carbs so much easier.

here is what my bike looked like before and after carb tune pro II
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Borrowed another kit from a buddy. I had all four carbs on at the same time. Got'em workin' pretty good now. No more drag/loss of power between 2000-4000rpms. Seems to have taken care of my problem. However, the real test. A cold start... tomorrow morning. I'm she fires up I'm good to go.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
        drop them money on a carb pro II ITS WORTH IT TRUST ME.

oh and z1 enterprises makes a tool for $15.99 that makes adjusting the carbs so much easier.
        Can you post links for these? Thanks.
        Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
        if your running air pods set all for the same. if your running a stack air box the 2&3 carb should be a lil but lower the 1 & 4.
        I believe I read it's the exhaust setup that determines if 2 and 3 are level or lower than 1 and 4.
        Or is it both air intake and exhaust?

Comment

Here's where you can buy the carb tune - http://www.carbtune.com/

They also sell a tool for the adjustments and it works really good so just look over their site. Z1 has one too (http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4532) but I think after shipping costs are added they might even out in price.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've used that tool before and it works very well. Basically, it holds the locking nut whilst you adjust the screw, then allows you to hold the screw steady whilst you tighten the lock nut. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
              Can you post links for these? Thanks.

I believe I read it's the exhaust setup that determines if 2 and 3 are level or lower than 1 and 4.
              Or is it both air intake and exhaust?
              The rumor is 4-1 requires all 4 to be equal where as 2-1 works best with the inboard carbs set to a lower point on the readings than the outers.

The technical minded would see this as lower vacuum on in the inboards, more vacuum on the outbuards.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X