Changing jet needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing jet needles

I finally got my bike idling right, but I have k&n air filter pods waiting to be installed. I was looking at my jet needle and there isn't any notches to move the clip that holds it in. Its has a 4C2 part number, is there an adjustable jet needle i can use in place of this one?

You can shim the needle using washers from Radio Shack. Search the forums and you can find the part number, or just bring one of your washers (stuck to some masking tape!) and match the part.

If you have an aftermarket pipe, the easiest thing to do is the DynaJet kit.

Comment

The size washer you need is 1mm. The Radio Shack washers (it is an assortment) are in SAE sizes, but the smallest ones get close.
      I picked up real 1mm stainless steel washers at Ace Hardware.
      Not sure where you live since you have not put your location in your profile (UserCP, upper left menu item).
      Also not sure what bike you have since you have not put your bike in your signature (UserCP, upper left menu item).

Comment

If everything's stock bar the K&N's, I'm pretty sure there's a stage 1 Dynojet kit for the 80 - 82 450's like Ajay says.

Alternatively, Rapidray sells adjustable needles that should suit, but they come in sets of 4 so you'll have a couple spare.

I lucked out and our Aussie 450's have adjustable needles from the factory, although I still have some tuning to do yet.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          The size washer you need is 1mm. The Radio Shack washers (it is an assortment) are in SAE sizes, but the smallest ones get close.
          I picked up real 1mm stainless steel washers at Ace Hardware.
          Uhhh, KK, they might be 1 mm thick, but I think they are sized by the diameter of the hole, which, I think, is 3 mm.

Also not sure what bike you have since you have not put your bike in your signature (UserCP, upper left menu item).
          Can't guarantee what bike he has, but take a look at his username.

Still a good tip to put the bike in the sig, though.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the bike is an 81gs450l. i just moved the bike from hawaii to colorado springs

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Uhhh, KK, they might be 1 mm thick, but I think they are sized by the diameter of the hole, which, I think, is 3 mm.

Can't guarantee what bike he has, but take a look at his username.

Still a good tip to put the bike in the sig, though.

Yeah, I saw the user name, just giving him a nudge to clarify things.

Yeah, my number is definitely incorrect. I did this mod to 2 sets of carbs a couple of years ago, and I was unwilling to use SAE washers on a metric machine, so I went to Ace instead. The price for 2 sets of 4 banked carbs was close to the Radio Shack assortment, but the fit was excellent, exactly perfect.

And I already looked at DynoJet's web site for needles for that machine and they do not list a kit for an 81 or 82, just an 83 which, IIRC, has a different carb setup.

Comment

Yeah, my number is definitely incorrect.
                OK, we have both now make our mistakes for the year, let's get back to our normally perfect selves.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gawd, I have to revert all the way back to being "normal"? Sounds painful.

Comment

Yeah, I saw the user name, just giving him a nudge to clarify things.

Yeah, my number is definitely incorrect. I did this mod to 2 sets of carbs a couple of years ago, and I was unwilling to use SAE washers on a metric machine, so I went to Ace instead. The price for 2 sets of 4 banked carbs was close to the Radio Shack assortment, but the fit was excellent, exactly perfect.

And I already looked at DynoJet's web site for needles for that machine and they do not list a kit for an 81 or 82, just an 83 which, IIRC, has a different carb setup.
                    Hmmm I'm sure they used to list a stage 1 for the 80 - 82's, but if not, it's a no go because you're right, '83's and later are completely different carbs...

I do believe there is an E3305 available in the UK though which is a stage 3 kit not suitable for the US, but the price is potentially a little prohibitive...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X