Carburetor repair kit for 81 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor repair kit for 81 GS650G

Where can I find a carb repair kit for a GS650G '81? Besides, are the stock turn signals lights for my bike round or square?

Thanks!

Raulmanny

The only "carb repair kit" usually needed is a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip and a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com.

When you order your o-rings, please also get the o-rings for your intake boots, along with the stainless hardware to hold the boots to the engine.

The only other parts necessary might be a set of bowl gaskets, you can get them from Z1 Enterprises.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

81s still had the round turn signals. The switch to rectangular occurred in 82.

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve;1621825]The only "carb repair kit" usually needed is a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip and a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com.

When you order your o-rings, please also get the o-rings for your intake boots, along with the stainless hardware to hold the boots to the engine.

The only other parts necessary might be a set of bowl gaskets, you can get them from Z1 Enterprises.

Steve, They did the carbs cleaning in the shop and recommended to replace the rubber boots, I did that but for some reason after I re-attached the carbs to the new boots, carb #1 (from left to right) is leaking a lot, almost an stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Raulmanny50 View Post
          Steve, They did the carbs cleaning in the shop and recommended to replace the rubber boots, I did that but for some reason after I re-attached the carbs to the new boots, carb #1 (from left to right) is leaking a lot, almost an stream.

Here in lays the problem...

Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. Do the job RIGHT, do it ONE time, do it YOURSELF.

You have at least one float bowl overflowing because the float valve is not working properly. Rust in the gas tank compounds problems like these so check that too.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have a leaking needle valve, new needle/seat combos are available from Suzuki for about $30 each. Z1 Enterprises has carb rebuild kits and needles alone for less than that, but the 3rd-party stuff is not known for the quality machining of OEM. If it wasn't leaking before you removed the carbs, you can try rapping on the float bowl lightly with a block of wood to try to get the needle to seat again properly. Also, it could be that the O-ring sealing the seat was buggered on install if not adequately lubricated of if there was any damage to the seat. Buggered o-ring has the same effect as a leaky needle/seat.

Overall, the recommendation by and large is to do carb rebuilds (and any other work possible) yourself. You'll know it's done right. You can inspect the needle for a ridge, a tell-tale sign of going bad.

Is this only when the bike is running? Are you using an OEM vacuum-type petcock (and NOT leaving it on PRIme)? Fuel should not be flowing with the bike off when using an OEM petcock.

Comment

The needle and seat rarely wear out, at least in my experience. It is almost always particulates causing the needle to fail to seal correctly with its corresponding seat.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                If you have a leaking needle valve, new needle/seat combos are available from Suzuki for about $30 each. Z1 Enterprises has carb rebuild kits and needles alone for less than that, but the 3rd-party stuff is not known for the quality machining of OEM.
                I get my float valves and needles from Parts n More for $8 each. Never had a problem with them.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a pretty good endorsement. Will think about that the next time if it arrives. I only bought one the last time, and with a few other OEM parts that put me over $100 and got me free shipping @ boulevard, so you could say it cost me a lot less than $30.

Comment

Working...
                  X