Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing what just a LITTLE bit of K&N Oil will do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing what just a LITTLE bit of K&N Oil will do...

Hey Guys...

Weather is getting nicer around here, so the Suzuki has been making some appearances! Love it!!

As of last fall, I had honed in pretty closely on getting the carbs with K&N Pods on them dialed in. Still a tad lean on the primaries (popping when deceleration) and still a bit of a stumble at WOT around 6,000 RPM. Riding up into altitude (up over Chinook Pass on Mt. Rainier) It was obvious that the mixture was still too rich up top.

I re-oiled the Pods and was pretty surprised at how that affected the fuel mixture, especially at the upper end. The stumble at WOT got even worse, further indicating that the mixture is indeed too rich, and that oiling the PODs exaggerated that condition.

I guess my first question is "Should the system be THAT sensitive to the mount of oil??" How do you guys go about maintaining your PODs to prevent this??

I currently have the Dynojet Stage III kit installed with 160's on the mains. The Needles WERE (as of yesterday) in the middle clip with both the factory washer and the Dynojet washer in place, and Primaries at 4.75 Turns.

I lowered the needles down 1-position last night, leaving the washers in place, and it's better, but there is still a stumble. Temps are still mild outside... around 50-60 degrees, so I know this will get worse when it warms up.

I guess my second question is: "Should I lower the needles down one more position, or remove the Dynojet washer on the needle, or both? Is it considered acceptable/Normal to have the needle clipped at the top clip, or is this a good indication that the main-jet is still too large??

Thanks!

They are all waiting for someone else to answer first so that their advice can be shot down.
    PM me if you don't get any help.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      They are all waiting for someone else to answer first so that their advice can be shot down.
      PM me if you don't get any help.

Eric
      Hahahaha... Nice!

No worries... I was just hoping to benefit from someone else's experience before I do what I would otherwise do, which is logically make adjustments via educated trial-and-error...

Comment

4.75 turns out is at the end of functional adjustment range. Way too rich. Your needle clip needs moved down toward the point. Too lean. This will effect the pilot/needle transition where you spend the majority of your time at maintenance throttle. (cruising position) is the 160 the larger of the two mains in the kit?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          4.75 turns out is at the end of functional adjustment range. Way too rich. Your needle clip needs moved down toward the point. Too lean. This will effect the pilot/needle transition where you spend the majority of your time at maintenance throttle. (cruising position) is the 160 the larger of the two mains in the kit?
          Interesting... the kit calls for 4.5 Turns out on the pilots... It also installs some restrictors on the pilot circuit, or at least that's what I recall.

The kit actually came with three main sets... 155, 160, and 165.

The 165s were way too rich... When I'd climb into the mountains (4000-5000 ft), the bike couldn't even get over 70mph... I switched to the 160s and it was much better, though still stumbled at high throttle openings and above 6,000RPM... it would clear up for the most part. That was with the needle in the middle (3rd) groove.

Last night I lowered the needle by moving the clip up to the 2nd groove.

Bike seems to run well everywhere else.

It sounds like perhaps you are hinting that I need to step the mains down perhaps??

Any advice would be appreciated... and certainly NOT ridiculed...

Comment

Working...
          X