Settings of the pilot screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings of the pilot screws

Anyone know the setting of the pilot screws on the 1982 gs850g ?

The ones that control the fuel setting on each carb thanks.

Since you don't really have any "pilot screws", that's going to be easy.

What you DO have is an "idle mixture adjustment screw".

The "pilot" mixture is preset by the pilot air jet and the pilot fuel jet, the "idle mixture adjustment screw" only controls how much of that preset mixture gets to the engine.

Now, for settings: If you are starting from scratch, set them to three full turns out from lightly seated. Once the bike is warmed up, slowly turn each one in, listening for a drop in engine speed, then back up about 1/8 turn. Note that the setting is for that carb, they might end up at different settings all across the rack.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's a dumb question. I'm about to reinstall my cleaned and rebuilt carbs. (On the 550, manual calls for 2.5 turns out from seated.) It seems that if I install the gas tank I won't have room to adjust these mixture screws. How should I rig up a fuel source that will give me room to make the required carb adjustments?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
        Here's a dumb question. ... How should I rig up a fuel source that will give me room to make the required carb adjustments?
        Not a dumb question at all.

There are several methods in use by various members. Some will have a longer fuel line so they can set the tank next to the bike (at about the same height, please). Just plug the vacuum line on the carb and use the PRIme setting on the petcock. I have also seen one setup that had a board placed across the frame, over the battery, on which the stock tank was placed, using the stock fuel hose. Still had to use PRIme, though, because the vacuum hose would not reach. I have a gallon jug that I have rigged for the purpose, but can not recommend setting it up the way that I did. Still others have used a small tank, like from a lawn mower, with sufficient hose to reach the carbs.

Whatever method you use, try to get the fuel level about the same height above the floor as the stock tank.
        Raising it above that will increase the pressure at the float valves, possibly overpowering them.
        Not having it high enough might not get gas into the carbs.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks. I have some boards, and some tubing that I can use to replicate the vacuum tube. All I need is to receive my new fuel tee, get the carbs reinstalled, and then learn about the wonders of synchronization.

Comment

Working...
          X