gs55L not getting gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs55L not getting gas

I am having trouble getting my 1985 Suzuki GS550L to stay running. Bought and installed a new fuel cock and still only getting a fire here and there. When I shoot starter fluid straight into the carb it starts right up. Should I take the carb apart and try to clean it or is there an easier way to clean the carb? There seems to be a lot of parts to a carb!!! And I am girl!! lol Thanks

Vicki, you'll need to clean those carbs properly but being a girl doesn't mean you'll have any more problems than anyone else. Go to Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) and look up the carb rebuild guide that Nessism did. Follow those procedures and you'll do fine.

Where are you located? Put that in your profile and maybe one of us will be close enough to lend a hand.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi vickiv1782,

Is the fuel getting to the float bowls (if you remove the drain screws does fuel come out)? If so, you're in need of a carb rebuild. Don't worry about being a girl, it's going to be just as easy for you as for the rest of us! It's just that us guys LIKE smelling like gasoline

Let me see, an 85 GS550 is going to have those odd Siamese carbs. As I understand it, the rebuild process is pretty much the same as the regular 4-gang CV carbs, except that there is only one fuel bowl and float system for each "pair" of carbs.

First post I see. You should post an introduction in the GS Owners forum, put your bike in your signature, post a location (maybe someone will be nearby that could help you if you get stuck), and provide some pics of your bike (and, since you're a girl, probably yourself too unlike the rest of us!).

There's a lot of great information at Mr. BassCliff's site here:

Including Mr. Nessism's CV carb rebuild guide here:

There are also a few members who will rebuild carbs for a fee, though of course you have to remove them and ship them. And you'll have to re-install them, and eventually sync them (or get them sync'd). But that's still probably going to be a lot cheaper than getting a local shop to do it, and you'll probably get much better results. I think Mr. TheCafeKid was quoting $125 for a carb gang rebuild. See the "GS Services" forum.

Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Are all the hoses hooked up correctly? There's a vacuum line from the #2 carb (iirc) to the petcock that needs to be connected. Do you have an inline fuel filter, is it clogged and the correct high flow design? If you set the petcock on prime and let sit for 30 seconds, does the bike start up?

This many sound dumb but do you have enough gas? If its lower then 1 gallon it needs to be on reserve or it won't run , I've thought I f'ed up my bike before and that was it

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. vickiv1782,

I've been away so I apologize for being late with your "mega-welcome".

Everything starts with properly cleaned carbs. Then proceed down the maintenance lists you will find in the links below.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X