Have a couple of questions need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a couple of questions need some help

I've been reading the factory service manual from bass cliffs website, and I'm a little confused about somethings I hope someone can help clear some things up.

I have a 79 GS 550.

I bought a motion pro carb sync tool.

One of my questions is the VAC line for the Petcock, what do I do with it before I sync the carbs? Do I plug it?

2nd, it's to my understand that there's no " factory " setting for the air pilot screw? It's different on every carb? For example for two turns? And I should try the highest idle method for this to get it right?

When I give it like a WOT response from idle it bogs, but if I open the throttle normally it revs up perfect. But any sudden fast throttle it bogs.

I'm pretty sure I have the carbs synced, valves adjusted, carbs rebuild with new orings, new carb boots, new carb boot orings, and cleaned/ lightly oiled air filter.
    Thank you

Originally posted by promking View Post
    i've been reading the factory service manual from bass cliffs website, and i'm a little confused about somethings i hope someone can help clear some things up.

I have a 79 gs 550.

I bought a motion pro carb sync tool.

One of my questions is the vac line for the petcock, what do i do with it before i sync the carbs? Do i plug it?

Yes.

2nd, it's to my understand that there's no " factory " setting for the air pilot screw? It's different on every carb? For example for two turns? And i should try the highest idle method for this to get it right?

Correct.

when i give it like a wot response from idle it bogs, but if i open the throttle normally it revs up perfect. But any sudden fast throttle it bogs.

Mechanical slide carbs will do that.

i'm pretty sure i have the carbs synced, valves adjusted, carbs rebuild with new orings, new carb boots, new carb boot orings, and cleaned/ lightly oiled air filter.
    Thank you

You are welcome, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      You are welcome, Ray.
      Thank you Ray

Comment

No bike should choke with wot. How can that be normal?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfreakinchevy View Post
          No bike should choke with wot. How can that be normal?
          That's just how they roll, on the models without accelerator pumps.
          If you take a 1/4 second or more to open the throttle, it doesn't do it.
          Just when you instantly snap it wide open.
          It really never happens when riding, just when you are trying to make noise while stopped.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Working...
            X