Dual tank? Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual tank? Modifications

I'm wanting to modify my gs750C tank that has some rust holes and dents.
    What do you think of making it a considerably wider dual tank?
    Dual petcocks run into a tee fitting, dual filler caps and adding some aftermarket fuel gauges.
    I was thinking of incorporating the gauges into the tank either right above or right below each filler cap.
    Or maybe just put one gauge on each side of the speedo/tack.
    Anyone know of a good gauge set at reasonable prices? White-faced gauges are a must.
    If I do the wider dual tank, I'll forget about kneepads. Another idea I was pondering. Or maybe add those as well. I just don't know.

Sorry, I should have posted this in the Appearance forum.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2012, 12:36 AM.

Sounds like you need a harley tank to mount on there.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Sounds like you need a harley tank to mount on there.
      Where's the fun in that? I want the challenge of fabricating it myself.
      I'm pretty good at fabricating. But if it turns out like crap, I'll start over or trash it.
      I'll have a stock tank on the bike before I ever cut into this one.
      And if this project ends up the way I want it, I'll put the stock tank on a shelf.

Comment

Just keep one thing in mind, if you will:

Last edited by Steve; 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll certainly post some pictures when I get started on this project.

Comment

Split it right down the middle and add a gas cap to each side...then the tee and dual petcocks. Tee at the back of the tanks of course for the best reserve position.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Or a single cap with a flow trhu tube installed at the tops of each side near the front. Fill till it flows thru and fills the other side????

Comment

There was thread on here a few years ago about a guy who made his tanks much larger, by cutting them open and welding in strips of metal here and there.
                His tanks were quite a bit bigger than they were originally.
                Try doing a search.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just be careful when welding on the old tank. Make sure you wash and wash again before hand.

Last year I had to weld a tank, and was super paranoid. So I turned to the internet for ideas (yeah, there's a good way to blow yourself up ). I ended up shooting a fire extinguisher into the tank right before welding to evacuate any oxygen in the tank. Made for a mess, but it cleaned out with soap and water afterwords. Not suggesting this as an absolute guaranteed method, but just passing on an idea - do a Pre Task Plan before you start!

And good luck - sounds like a neat idea.

Oh, you might also think about putting inserts in to mount a more modern gas cap such as those on sport bikes - they sit flush and look trick.

Comment

I've actually formulated a plan in my head.
                    I'll try to make some illustrations to show my intent.
                    I've pretty much decided on a larger single tank with two petcocks.
                    I'll keep the fuel cap where it is.
                    I've been reading on chroming methods to chrome the access cover.
                    Anyone ever used a chrome paint called alclad?
                    From what I've gathered, it's made to chrome plastics, not sure if it works for metal.

Comment

Cut it like this

and like this

afterwards it looks like this

Comment

Oh, I have no idea about the resulting capacity. It may be anywhere from 50-100% more.
                        I'll have to calculate the difference after the first fill-up.
                        And also, the above illustrations are not exact. Just a quick mock up in Photoshop.
                        I'll have to watch out for over-bulkiness while I'm determining how much gap to add.

To better explain the cuts I made in Photoshop, the tank will be cut into three pieces.
                        Yet it won't actually be in pieces as there will be a pivot point in the very back that will still be connecting all three pieces.
                        The pivot point has to be at the outer seem to avoid crimping or bowing the rear section of the tank.
                        Then the front parts of the tank will be spread to a yet unknown distance and tacked.
                        I can then set the tank on the bike to test for bulkiness and fit.
                        After any changes that need to be made, it's simply a matter of filling in the gaps.
                        Well before I weld it up, I'll be adding the fuel gauge sending unit and second petcock outlet.

I can't really see modifying the tank without putting in the sending unit for a gauge.
                        That's almost reason enough to do this project, by it's self. Just to add a fuel gauge.

Comment

I have 2 spare tanks from an 1100GL. You can use one as a guinea pig if you want as long as I can have the finished result. I won't gripe if it doesn't work out. I'm in Gainesville.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                            I have 2 spare tanks from an 1100GL. You can use one as a guinea pig if you want as long as I can have the finished result. I won't gripe if it doesn't work out. I'm in Gainesville.
                            That's a very tempting offer. But I would feel better about cutting my own tank first.
                            Especially since my tank is damaged and in need of some repairs.
                            I'll be cutting out some rusted areas and pounding out a couple of dents, while it's opened up.
                            After I get this one worked out, I'll be much more comfortable about doing others.

Comment

I've been out with a sharpie marking the cut lines on the tank.
                              Leaving the tank pieces connected at the pivot points will make some of the repairs too difficult.
                              So I'll go ahead and separate the sections. Just have to tack it back together afterwards.

I was going to look on eBay for sending units, but wasn't sure what to search for.
                              Should I look for an aftermarket setup or a used one from a similar tank?
                              Seems like I remember seeing sending units from a gs550, somewhere.
                              Are there any aftermarket gauges that would work with a gs550 sender?

I'm gonna use the HD petcock on whatever replacement tank I get.
                              For this tank, I'll get one left spigot and one right spigot HD petcocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X