cerma krome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cerma krome

has anyone ever had their pipes cerma kromed? opinions? Ive had mine done and they are on there way back to me. pix to follow.

Ceramic coating i have seen with excellent results.
    Is cerma krome something different?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

basically its ceramic coating that looks like chrome. thats just the name they use for it. I'll post up some before and after photos of mine. Hopefully tuesday or weds of next week. Was wondering how the finish holds up after prolonged riding.

Comment

My pipe's ceramic coated and I love it.

Google tells me cermakrome is ceramic coating...

I love the fact the pipe runs so cool on the outside compared to chrome, and given it runs under my left ankle that's a very good thing

I don't even know it's there when I'm riding...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
          basically its ceramic coating that looks like chrome. thats just the name they use for it. I'll post up some before and after photos of mine. Hopefully tuesday or weds of next week. Was wondering how the finish holds up after prolonged riding.
          Must've posted at the same time.

If it's like mine, it darkens a little after it's been run for a while, but I only have a few thousand km's on mine. So far it's holding up well, but I do believe it's not quite as durable as chrome.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

basically its ceramic coating that looks like chrome.
            It is actually more of a satin finish than chrome, but I think it looks good.
            I had my drag bike pipes done a couple years ago:

And they also have a black ceramic, which I just had done for my 1100E's supertrapp system.
            Just got them back Thursday and if my new exhaust gaskets show up today as expected, they will be on today.

I'll throw up some pics also when they are on.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              It is actually more of a satin finish than chrome, but I think it looks good.

And they also have a black ceramic, which I just had done for my 1100E's supertrapp system.
              Just got them back Thursday and if my new exhaust gaskets show up today as expected, they will be on today.

I'll throw up some pics also when they are on.
              Looks very nice.
              How does it handle the heat?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Looks very nice.
                How does it handle the heat?

Eric
                I'll know more after they are on, but the black is suppose to be as good as the chrome...which worked very well on the drag bike...

Comment

I thought about the black at first but with the bike mostly black already I didnt think it would look right. Thought about a gold finish but wasnt sure on that either so went with the chrome/satin look......Just waiting on my exhaust to finish it up.

Comment

I had a Thorley header coated like that on my old MKII Supra. It's best feature was that the bare header pipes run cooler than the stock manifold. The chrome appearance will darken and become lead like more than shiny chrome. The black pipes are a better deal. Where did you get them done and how much if I may ask.?
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I need to this same exact thing on my 850 head pipes. I have brand new mufflers and I want to do something with my head pipes.

I too don't know if I want to go chrome or black. My bike is in my avatar and photo bucket album.
                      1979 GS850G
                      2004 SV650N track bike
                      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I paid $540 plus shipping. They done the complete exhaust system and the heat shields to. There was a lot of prep work I know. they also done whats called a "race coat" which coats the inside of the pipes as well. Theres quite a few companies out there but the one that did mine is called Classic Coatings out of sheybogen wisconsin. www.classiccoatings.com

Comment

Here is my black ceramic coated headers and collector on the bike...
                          Cost me $225, but it was local so no shipping..

Comment

they also done whats called a "race coat" which coats the inside of the pipes as well.
                            Will that process stop them from rusting inside to out?
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

quoting from the website here
                              "Polished CermaKrome (MCX)
                              A very popular metallic ceramic exhaust coating, CermaKrome has an appealing high-luster chrome look. It provides an extremely hard finish which is not susceptible to rust or chipping and is is able to withstand temperatures up to 1,300°F. MCX has been used in place of chrome applications in such items as A-Arms, intakes, brackets, etc. "

"TLHB (Race Coat) is an internal exhaust coating applied to the inside diameter of exhaust pipes for extra protection. This coating aids in the acceleration of exhaust gas velocity which helps reduce internal engine temperatures. TLHB will increase the maximum temperature that the exterior coating can withstand. We recommend this coating for all race applications."

I figured for the little extra money I might as well go all the way with them. My pipes and mufflers were solid and we all know what happens to the original pipes on these old bikes. Hopefully what I had done will keep them looking good for a long time.....

Comment

Working...
                              X