Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got experience with flat slide carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got experience with flat slide carbs?

I know they are not stock GS issue, but I just put some Mikuni RS36 flat slide carbs on my GS1100G. I have K+N pod filters and a relatively stock style exhaust. So far all I have done is swap the stock 130 main jets for 127.5 because the exhaust is more stock than racing and the bike has fired up first time with barely a nudge on the choke.

So far my experience has been good and bad: the engine revs very willingly but does backfire a little when cold. It's a little hesitant when I ride it but my riding has just been up and down my back laneway because I don't have a rear fender yet, there no taillight or license plate!

As I didn't really need to use the choke I suspect that it's probably running a little rich. I experimented with adjusting the pilot screws but couldn't really notice any difference regardless of where they were set.

Maybe I should try the 120 main jets that came with it? Or should I leave any jetting changes until I have synched the carbs?

Thanks!

Call RapidRay: 714--356-7845

Eric

Comment

What state is he in? There will be a big time difference! US east coast is about 12 hours away from me.

Comment

California.

You could also try Blowerbike in central U.S.A.

Eric

Comment

And they would be happy to help over the phone?

Comment

RapidRay always asks everyone to call him.
            Blowerbike, don't know.

Eric

Comment

Jimmy, the FIRST thing you need to do is adjust the mixture screws by the "fastest idle" method. Starting with #1 you slowly turn the fuel mixture screw in or out a LITTLE at a time til the idle is as fast as it will go on that cylinder. Then move to #2 & do the same & then 3 & 4. After this you NEED to sync the carbs as I have had some flatslides that ran like CRAP till they were synced. After that you can go on to making adjustments to the needles & mains as needed. For an 8 valver like yours I would bet the 130s are a little too big. The 120s would be a good place to start after you do the above. Feel free to call me since Eric posted my # if you need more help. Ray.

Comment

I'll trade you a set of CV carbs + money for those thirty-sixes!
                (If they are in good shape)
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh these 36s ain't going anywhere! Hey thanks Rapid Ray - I tried adjusting the pilot screws but they didn't seem to change anything. I'll go back to the stock settings and try again. Thanks!

Comment

If adjusting the mixture screws didn't change anything, & they have 17.5 pilot jets, you may need to go down to 15 pilots with an 8 valve motor. Turning the screws IN richens them so if you couldn't turn them 1-2 turns OUT & get any change, you need to go down on the pilots. The standard starting point on the mixture screws is 1/2 turn out (counter clockwise) from fully seated. Let me know if I can help or call me. Ray.

Comment

You know your stuff, I reckon! Wow. I'll try again from a 1/2 turn out but I think I may need smaller pilots. Thanks heaps - this is exactly what I need to know.

Comment

I'm still waiting on some smaller pilot jets, but today I swapped the 127.5 main jets for 120 jets that came with the carbies. The carbs came with 130 mains installed, I swapped those for the 127.5 because I have more stock style pipes but I now have the 120 mains in. So I thought I may as well try it like this and see what it was like...

Well it started easily enough but as soon as it did I got a cloud of bluey-white smoke for about 5 seconds - scared the hell outa me! It could be that I had over-filled the oil. Last time I changed the oil I didn't realise how much the level changes as you run the engine. But at least if it IS over filled it's not by much.

So once the smoke cleared it seemed to run ok - a bit notchy but with less pops and backfires than before. I did need some choke to start but it didn't need to stay on too long. Again, pilot screws adjusting made no difference at all so I still need to fix that. I rode it around the block and it seemed a little better than before I changed the mains but it's still a bit hesitant. It seems pointless to synch the carbs until I get the pilots sorted out.

I'm wondering if I should do a compression test. Trouble is, I don't have a way of testing that and most places around here that will work on bikes like mine will tell me whatever suits their workload that week. But the smell of burning oil has me concerned that I might need new rings. It's funny because it didn't smell like burning oil before - it just stank at first and then smelt like a bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X