Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't my carbs work right, you ask.

It might be something like this:

Nasty floaters in your fuel. That fuel was coming from the I/V bottle I rig when working without the tank in place. The gas had been poured from a plastic jerry can that did have gunk in it but it went through a fine mesh in a funnel as poured into the bottle. Not fine enough.

I have never been a big fan of inline fuel filters but I'm rethinking that position as I had to pull the carbs for another dunking this afternoon. They had been done last year, only used for less than an hour and stored until I picked up this bike 2 weeks ago. I don't want to have to do that again anytime soon.

For the new guys I hope you can see that grit like that is what causes the carbs to get clogged so its important to keep it out and also very important to dunk the carbs to clean them as dunking is the only way to get that crappola out of jets and passages once it gets in.

Cheers all,
    spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM.

The carbs have been in the dunk tanks now for about 6 hours and all kinds of nasties are floating out. There must have been a lot of gunk in the fuel I put through or I really didn't clean them that well before.

I wonder what the set that came with the bike look like. I wasn't planning on doing them right away but I might just open them for a look see tomorrow. They had been sitting for 3 years but I believe the PO had drained them ( as he did with the tank) so I don't expect any green algae that I've found a time or two before. Some carbs can get real nasty believe me.

Well I'll get these puppies back together tomorrow and hopefully she'll run better and without any leaks.

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

One of the first things I got for my bike was an inline filter and its been on there for years and years

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I've seen that sort of thing out of jerrycans as well.

I had to pull my carbs today to verify they were not the problem behind my recent starting issues, and although I didn't take a picture for proof, it looked like a penny had broken down in three of the four float bowls. Lots of green crud. I read on this or another forum of someone speculating that it might be Seafoam, which I had used in the gas. Blew out all of the passages and pulled the jets...just to make sure they weren't blocked solid.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Those floaties in your fuel line look vaguely metallic...
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well after about 22 hours in the dip tank the carbs are clean again. Now I hope I can keep them that way

For all the new folks that wonder why we are so insistant about dipping the carbs to get them clean here is why:

Now a lot of the black specks could be stuff from the outside of the carbs as they were not totally spotless in the nooks and crannies. The redish stuff I take to be rust probably from the tank. If that were gold I'd have enough to buy a set of tires

Hopefully, all new folks can understand that gunk like that is not going to be banished with a spritz from an aerosol can. Do it right guys.

Cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              Well after about 22 hours in the dip tank the carbs are clean again. Now I hope I can keep them that way

For all the new folks that wonder why we are so insistant about dipping the carbs to get them clean here is why:

Now a lot of the black specks could be stuff from the outside of the carbs as they were not totally spotless in the nooks and crannies. The redish stuff I take to be rust probably from the tank. If that were gold I'd have enough to buy a set of tires

Hopefully, all new folks can understand that gunk like that is not going to be banished with a spritz from an aerosol can. Do it right guys.

Cheers,
              Spyug

All you need is a white chalk outline and you would have a crime scene....LOL

Comment

CSI Hamilton anyone? LOL!

Spyug

Comment

I got it....

lol

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    But if everybody did it "right", this forum would die, due to lack of posts.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X