How the hell does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the hell does this happen?

So what I thought was just a missing bolt appears to be a sheered bolt. Additionally (not sure how I missed it) I noticed the connecting collar is broken. By the parts catalogs I've looked at this doesn't appear to be a replaceable part. (UGH!) Is it is?

I'm going to have to see if I can find a local shop that might be able to back the broken bolts out, but the broken collar seems like it's going to be a trick too.

Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any major exhaust leaks and the pipes 'feel' secure.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

This is a picture of the broken collar as best as I could get to it. It's the left outer-most pipe. The break is on the inside-top:

This is a picture of the left inside pipe. You can't really tell from this picture but the bolt is actually sheered off, not just missing. You can see the other sheered bolt just to the right:

Excessive heat then cooling over the years makes them very brittle. pop the whole downtube out of the couppler and slide it off. ive got new clamps if you need them. and downtubes

Comment

Danny,

The problem that I see is the outside header is welded to the muffler so there is no way to slide that (broken) coupler/collar off without cutting and rewelding the parts (not something I'm crazy about doing but I may have to.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
        Danny,

The problem that I see is the outside header is welded to the muffler.
        Indeed it is, the only thing I can thing of, without having to cut up the muffler and short of replacing the pipe on that side is to cut a whole flange in two and bolt them up one on each side.
        Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Weren't you planning on a nice 4-1 pipe anyway?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Weren't you planning on a nice 4-1 pipe anyway?
            Not me. If I could find some nice aftermarket 'pea-shooter' style pipes that'd be cool, otherwise I'd prefer to stick with stock as much as I can.

Sounds like I need to find a good welder so I can replace the collar, as well as a shop that can back those broken bolts out. Neither of those seem like DIY jobs I want to try to tackle.

Comment

Are 650E down pipes the same as 650G?
              If so I may have some if you are interested.

Comment

There's a few on E-bay, nothing great though, I think over time you'll find one you'll like and can use though.
                eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Are 650E down pipes the same as 650G?
                  If so I may have some if you are interested.
                  I'm sure they are. Same engine, just different drive mechanism. How is the condition? Have any pictures? The ones on ebay are beat to crap. (of course I can't expect perfection after 30 years)

Comment

PM me, I am switching to a 4-1 pipe hopefully today, if everything fits I will have no need for the stock pipes. I'll take pics when the pipes are off.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      There's a few on E-bay, nothing great though, I think over time you'll find one you'll like and can use though.
                      http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313
                      Yea, those are in pretty rough shape. I may try the welder still if the cost isnt bad, especially if I can hide the seam behind the cover.

As it's driveable now I don't want to do too much tearing into it yet. Researching my options/prices now.

Comment

Wait, it is these pipes...

Already cut off to do the Harely pipes. I guess they won't work for you.

Comment

Nice looking bike! I may have to steal the paint scheme, though I'd go yellow with red accents (maybe).

Those pipes look cool. How loud are they? I don't like the obnoxiously loud bikes.

Wait, it is these pipes...

Already cut off to do the Harely pipes. I guess they won't work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                            Nice looking bike! I may have to steal the paint scheme, though I'd go yellow with red accents (maybe).

Those pipes look cool. How loud are they? I don't like the obnoxiously loud bikes.
                            Steal away, I didn't copyright it.

I reserve the right to see pictures.

These mufflers are very quiet, probably even quieter than stock, but very restrictive.
                            The bike is slow, the engine has zero top end kick, it runs rich with stock jetting, just a dud performance wise. Hence the 4-1. It's a Kerker, it might be too loud for my stealth philosophy.
                            Can't imagine pushing the exhaust from a 1200cc twin through these mufflers if they won't flow enough for a 650 four cylinder to run well. Maybe that's why the Herd Tards need such loud pipes to stay alive.

Comment

if they won't flow enough for a 650 four cylinder to run well.
                              I'm going to check my other options out yet then, but I'll check with you if those don't pan out.

Comment

Working...
                              X