Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 gs450L Idle issues... tired of pulling out my hair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs450L Idle issues... tired of pulling out my hair!

So Ive been chasing this ghost since i got the bike about 5 weeks ago.
    As the title says, i am having troubles at idle with my 1985 gs450. The PO installed Harley drag pipes and some pod filters.
    When i first got it, the bike would take forever to rev down (an obvious lean mixture scenario) after a throttle blip, and would even take off and rev out of control sometimes. It also would backfire through the carb at idle.

Here is everything Ive done.
    1) cleaned the carbs 6 times
    2) installed new jets 150 main and 47.5 pilot
    3) checked intake manifolds for leaks, no spike in rpms when sprayed with starter fluid
    4) pulled the intake manifolds for a thorough inspection and epoxied over any suspect areas to be safe
    5) vacum synced the carbs numerous times
    6) spent hours adjusting the mixture screw, to no avail

The rev problem is much calmer now and will settle down, albeit, not as quick as i suspect it should. But the backfire issue will not go away.
    It is most apparent after riding around a cpl minutes and coming to a stop. It really coughs bad and causes the engine to shut off.

So my question is, does anyone have a similar exhaust and pod setup on a 450? If so, what jets are you running and is the needle stock?

As a side note, the PO also drilled out the carb piston hole.. I noticed yesterday the piston is actually raising a bit at idle. I don't know if that is normal, but it seems to me the pilot circuit should be doing all the work at idle.

Ive been asking for advice on another forum site for the past couple of weeks but to no avail. everyone just says it sounds like an air leak and that its lean.
    I know what it sounds like, but the problem I'm having is, the plugs are black as can be. I installed new ones and checked them after working on the bike and running it for a bit and they are black too now.
    I am thoroughly stumped! And, don't know where to look next.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jeremy

What about adjusting the valves.......our checking ign timing

Comment

I have not done the valves yet.. this is the newest bike I've ever owned and thus never had a bike that requires shims for a valve job.. I haven't been able to find much info on adjust the valves so don't even know if its something i can do, or if special tools are required.

Likewise, all my other bikes have points.. I really don't know much about the electronic ignition systems. I looked in a manual and it just said "no inspection or adjustment required".. I don't know what the hell that means or if its even true..

Comment

I should also mention the bike runs GREAT at anything above idle.. It pulls hard as hell and makes my CB350's look like toys!

Comment

Did you replace the intake O rings?

Comment

I'm on a phone so I can't sendu the link but do a search for mega welcome .....the websit has all the info u will need

Comment

i have not replaced the o rings.. I have checked for a leak though numerous times and have found none.
              I did a search for mega welcome but came up with some weird korean sites about dentistry... typo?

Comment

I would do that. Mine didn't act like it needed them but after I replaced them it idled much better. And they are pretty cheep.

Comment

cool.. thanks for the info. I have to go right now to the dealership to pick up a shifter shaft oil seal that came in.. Im gonna go ahead and get them to order me some new boots and o rings..
                  in the mean time. i think I'm gonna pull the valve cover today and see what we got. Ive read spec is .003... anyone know if thats right?

Comment

Well the good news is i got the oil seal put in without any problems and fixed that pesky leak that dripped right onto my left side exhaust..

I did not get a chance to check the valves today, but i did pull of the pods to have a look at the pistons to see if they are raising at the same time and same amount.. They seem to be working identically..

I was able to see the actually back fire too.. When revving down, gas will actually collect in the right carb throat, and eventually, bang! backfire..

So, even though that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, it is always nice to at least see how something works, even if that something is not a good thing..

I guess the fact that it only happens on the one carb probably means the jetting is correct for the setup i am running... But there must be an air leak or blocked passage in that carb.

I haven't had a chance yet to pick up a manual but would have a buddy coming tomorrow to help with some work. Anybody know the spec for valves on this thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X