No fire on #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fire on #4

Ok folks, I have gotten my 80 GS1000 running, but questionably. Did the carbs all the way as suggested here, with 40 pilots and 110 mains. Got new intake boot rings, good airbox and filter, new plugs, bench sync and it runs decent. With my brand new morgan carbtune hooked up, I get good even readings on 1 and 3, 2 is a little bit lower reading on idle, no reading to mention on revs, and 4 does nothing. I am getting a nice blue arc when I ground the plug and crank it over from four, but still no fire. Put the new plugs in yesterday, and ran it for a short period, pulled the plug back out, and it has nothing on it, not anything at all. I do keep hearing a psssh of air from that side of the motor, every seconnd or so, and it burps when I rev it. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by stng_96 View Post
    ..., and 4 does nothing.
    This needs a bit more of an explaination, if you don't mind.

Are you saying that #4 does not move the carbtune at all, or that it goes to one place, then does nothing as you blip the throttle, or ...?

If you are getting no vacuum reading on #4, the first thing I would do is swap the vacuum leads for 3 and 4 to make sure the Carbtune is not lying to you. If #4 is not giving you any vacuum reading, you have a serious leak somewhere. It's remotely possible that it is open so far that the engine is running on only the one cylinder, but that does not match your description of how it is running.

Another possibility is mis-adjusted valves. Have you checked valve clearances? They should have been checked before doing a carb sync. If you do a perfect carb sync, then go back and change a couple of shims, you will have to re-sync the carbs, because the cylinders will be drawing a different amount of air through the same opening in the carb, yielding a different vacuum reading.

Worst-possible case: you might have a burnt valve, which can not seal up to the head. Aa compression test would confirm that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is not moving the carbtune at all on number four, Ill switch those ones around and see if that helps anything. there is some condensation that built up in the carbtune on the number four testing tube, mean anything to you?

Comment

Hi,

Can you do a compression test?

When you hook up the #3 tube of the Carbtune to cylinder #4, does it pull a vacuum? Is the vacuum port from carb #2 plugged?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Bass, are you talking about the vacuum port for the fuel petcock, or the carbtune adapter?

Comment

It is not moving the carbtune at all on number four, Ill switch those ones around and see if that helps anything. there is some condensation that built up in the carbtune on the number four testing tube, mean anything to you?
            As I suggested earlier, switch the tubes from #3&4.

If the rod in Carbtune #3, which is connected to engine cylinder #4, does not move, your problem is in the engine.

If Carbtune rod #4 still does not move, your problem is with the Carbtune.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hi,

Bass, are you talking about the vacuum port for the fuel petcock?
              Yes. This is assuming that you have the main fuel tank off and you are using an auxiliary tank. If so, plug the vacuum line from the #2 carb that usually connects to the petcock.

Here's my aux tank and a golf tee stuck in the vacuum line.

Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Bass that's about what mine looks like too, and now for the bad news......#4 cylinder builds 120 cranking psi......grrrr

Comment

Bass that's about what mine looks like too, and now for the bad news......#4 cylinder builds 120 cranking psi......grrrr
                  OK, so it builds cranking pressure.

Have you swapped the vacuum lines yet to determine if it might be your Carbtune?

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve yes I am sorry I didn't mention that before, but yes, swapped and it stayed with that cylinder. Isn't 120 pretty darn low, #1 makes 155?

Comment

Steve yes I am sorry I didn't mention that before, but yes, swapped and it stayed with that cylinder.
                      So you are saying that when you swapped the vacuum hoses, #3 in the Carbtune did not move?

Did you move the hoses at the engine or on the gauge?

If you moved them at the gauge, you might have a plugged hose.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I moved the hoses at the engine. Previously the far right tube attached to my number four cylinder was showing no readings, maybe a little blip here and there, and after I switched the number four cylinder to the 2 tube from the right it showed the same thing, also with condensation in the tube. Carbtune is functioning properly.

Comment

Working...
                        X