Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 gs850g Need Help should i use sea foam if so how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs850g Need Help should i use sea foam if so how?

oh its a 1980 gs850g had a sidecar was awsome befor weather got cold man i screwed up i thought just going out in the carport and running it every now and then would be ok when i went on a two week vacation it sat when i got back is when i noticed all the problems drained the gas and just recently filled the tank up..

sat for winter now wont idle without the choke out
    was told to try and put sea foam in the gas tank leave it to sit overnight then the next day run the engine till its dry

is this true? how much sea foam should i pour in the gas tank
    its a big tank has a gas gauge and is over half full

im just wanting to try the pour sea foam in the tank rather than spray it or put it directly in lines would greatly apreciate a lil help

i live in georgia 30152 if anyone near wants to have a look

it was my daily driver before winter now im walking everywhere ive lost allot of weight but would really like to start riding again

never used sea foam and the gs850g was new to me only had it a few months before the weather got cold and t ran and drove great

i started it every now and then and let it run in the carport but didnt drive it and boy it doesnt like the dust/pollen and being left alone and not driving

like i said when driving it daily it ran great

thanks for looking and any tips ya can give

ps this sites awsome i cant wait till i can start riding again i need to make it my own im gonna wanna pull off the fairing and he trunk and try or have the bike lowerd so my feet sit flat on the ground now my on my toes and it just doesnt feel right but if anyone in georgia is interested ill be selling those parts at sumpoint to help pay to fix the bike up
    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM. Reason: put wrong year in title

Put a couple fo ounces of Seafoam in the tank and see if it cures your problem

If not, it's time for a complete carb cleaning
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. dcnadeau81,

The directions are on the can but you can put as much Seafoam in your tank as you want. It won't hurt anything but might smoke a lot. The chances are slim that a Seafoam treatment will clear your carbs if they've gotten gummed up by sitting around all winter with untreated gas in them. But try a half can in a tank of gas and go for a 150 mile ride and see what happens. I think a good carb cleaning is in order. You'll find the proper procedures in the links below.

You'll also find a GS850G party on my little website. Please feel free to stop by and look around. Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'd siphon some gas out of your tank- leave maybe 1 gallon, add 6 oz of seafoam to tank, run/drive it at least 15 minutes to ensure seafoam hits carbs-(you'll know, engine won't be happy) shut off and leave overnight. Have gas mask handy at restart. Might work in your case as it hasn't sat too long. Next winter , use stabilizer.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

well after sitting the clutch is not smooth so i dont wanna ride it untill i get that all worked out can i just move it to the front yard put a few oz of sea foam in the tank and run the engine without driving around for hours.

if the bike was trustworthy i would love going for a 150mile or more ride just to cruise i miss those days but right now i want to fix it up the best i can myself then take it to a local shop i know and have it serviced/valves adjusted wiring fixed up etc

Comment

ill try the sea foam tomorrow i will have to look at the claymore or see if i can find someone local to help me fix it up nice enough that i can ride it to the shop i trust or get it there cheap since money is always a problem
            its only 7 or 8 miles i dunno could just gun it and go but since i became a dad i am overly cautious

Comment

Hi,

Pretty much everything you need to know to fix your bike is on my little website. Have a look. You will quickly spend more money than the bike is worth if you take it to a shop just to let some hack hork it up.

BassCliff

Comment

The clutch is not smooth because it has not been ridden.
                Ride and it will fix itself.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

Pretty much everything you need to know to fix your bike is on my little website. Have a look. You will quickly spend more money than the bike is worth if you take it to a shop just to let some hack hork it up.

BassCliff
                  Yes, indeed- one stop all you need
                  Try the seafoam- just ride around the neighborhood for 15 minutes -not hours-just to let seafoam get inside the carbs, Clutch needs to be warm to function smooth.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gonna be rainy today aparently but still gonna try and play with the bike some if all else fails ill hop on some of the links yall gave and do some reading

Comment

Originally posted by dcnadeau81 View Post
                      gonna be rainy today aparently but still gonna try and play with the bike some if all else fails ill hop on some of the links yall gave and do some reading
                      Read those links, learn something about your bike and what's going on before you screw it up worse. It sounds like you really need to learn some of those things that we've all learned by reading and wrenching or screwing it up royally and then begging for help, all for lack of taking time to read the 10 (and more) most common Newbie mistakes.....

Comment

did read the links.. not sure if seafoam helped but i know my gas tank started to boil or is that was sea foam is supposed tah do kuzz sure sounded and looked like boiling gas to me...

i am thinking its gonna be allot more than a lil gunk in the carbs

Comment

ahh so i take some gas out before i put in the sea foam then add the sea foam.

now with less gas and the seafoam yeah white smoke ok
                          engine got hot fast
                          so hot the gas starts to boil

kinda wish sum1 had mentioned that might happen it was a lil more than disconcerting

so im guessing recipe for boiling gas tank is
                          1.low gas
                          2.bike standing still so fins arent cooling
                          3.let it run for 15minutes or so and you get boiling gas soup

eck im just hoping all the pressure inside the tank didnt screw anything else up

Comment

Um, you ran an air-cooled engine standing still for 15 minutes? Grab a box fan and put that in front of the bike if you are going to run the engine for more than a few minutes.

Comment

Never exceed the maximum suggested amount of sea foam when mixing it with gas, it works over time also.
                              If you do run the bike just sitting there with no cooling air, the engine will heat up and that heat will rise to the bottom of your gas tank and your gas inside the will heat up. It's like putting a pot on the stove and turning on the burner .
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X