what jets with pods and vance & hines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what jets with pods and vance & hines?

Just got my first bike, it is a 1980 GS850. It had been laid over and I wasn't running. I picked it up for $400 and got it running that night. Now, when I say I got it running, I mean that it started and idled for a little bit. I am just playing around with and and trying to get it up and running smoothly. I have driven it around a little and it idles fine, but when you lay on the throttle there is not a strong response and it wants to fall on its face. A friend suggested that since I have pod filters and a vance and hines megaphone exhaust, I should go to bigger jets. i have 115 in there now....

I also have a question regarding fuel hookups...I will post the picture to spell it out, but I have a hookup that I don't know where it gets connected.

It's definitely been a fun little project and I'm only a week in!

The mystery line is an overflow, should your fuel sending unit seal ever leak. Route it down away from the engine and off to the left side of bike opposite exhaust. Tie it to the bottom frame rail away from tire too. Avoid fires and slippery rubber. Also go to quick links above and pick edit signature from the drop down menu and enter your bike, year and model so we can see what bike you have. And your location can be added in your profile so other local site members know where you are for rides, help and whatnot.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Pod filters = Dynojet Stage 3 kit.

Have a look at my website. You'll find stuff like this:

Where Do These Hoses Go?

See your other thread for your "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The recommended procedure is to get the bike running correctly with the stock airbox and exhaust, but since that ship has sailed...

With CV carbs, the consensus is to install a DynoJet kit with pods and pipe. It's not just the jet size but the needle taper that counts as well, and the stock needle is never going to match the non-stock intake and exhaust. Also, to make sure you're using quality pods (i.e., K&N or APE, not Emgo pods).

Originally posted by hoehn.marcus View Post
        Just got my first bike, it is a 1980 GS850. It had been laid over and I wasn't running. I picked it up for $400 and got it running that night. Now, when I say I got it running, I mean that it started and idled for a little bit. I am just playing around with and and trying to get it up and running smoothly. I have driven it around a little and it idles fine, but when you lay on the throttle there is not a strong response and it wants to fall on its face. A friend suggested that since I have pod filters and a vance and hines megaphone exhaust, I should go to bigger jets. i have 115 in there now....

I also have a question regarding fuel hookups...I will post the picture to spell it out, but I have a hookup that I don't know where it gets connected.

It's definitely been a fun little project and I'm only a week in!

Comment

Well, I still have the stock airbox... Would it be a good thing to put that back on and see if I can get it running more smoothly?

Comment

They usually run as smoothly as can be with the stock air box, if everything else is working as it should.

With the pipe only, it won't take much tuning, maybe just a bigger main jet, maybe raise the needle a tad.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If I put the original box on for now, will it be running rich enough so that it won't be running too hot?

I want to get it running well enough to use it for my 6 mile commute to work as soon as I can. Then when I get more money together I can get a jet kit and put the pods back on... ?

Comment

Working...
              X