another Petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another Petcock question

Shut my bike off this morning and noticed fuel dripping out of the boot from the carb on the airbox side. I should say that i have no clamp on that side of the boot, its on back order. does this mean i have a faulty pet cock? is there a way to repair a petcock? i tested it with no hose on it and it did not leak. thanx for responses

float needle is not seating, either needs polished or cleaned, probably both.

Comment

My mech told me it was per cock for sure? Kinda think the gs forum would know.

Comment

Disconnect both lines from petcock- does anything leak out in "on" or "res" position? If no, your petcock ain't to blame fro carb leaking.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You yourself said it didn't leak when you tested it, another reason NOT to take it back to that mechanic, you know more than he does, when the bowls fill up with fuel, the needle shuts it of, kinda like a toilet when it re-fills with water, if it didn't shut off, well you'd have a bigger mess, your fuel is overflowing the bowls, it may be a combination of things, 1) the needle is not seating, and, also most likely, the float height is set incorrectly, so, believe us, believe your own eyes, or the so called mechanic, this is one of the reasons we stress, to do your own work on these bikes, or at least as much as you can. If you get stuck or overwhelmed, come back here, and ask away again, that's what this forum is all about!! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X