giving it the throttle kills it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

giving it the throttle kills it

so I'm a bit stumped at the moment. I have been browsing this place for a while and getting some great advice but I think its time I made a thread.

I'm currently in the process of resurrecting my uncle's old 1980 gs850. its been sitting in his barn for about 10 years. the main problem in the carbs. when I took them off and opened them up it was gunk city in there. A couple bottles of carb cleaner later and i got it to actually run on gas from the tank as a opposed to starter fluid. well i found this on here and it really helped me alot. It helped me figure out that behind the rubber plugs are the pilot jet and that the main jet can be removed as opposed to just taking off the screw with the hole in it. So just today I took the carbs back off and found out how to slide the main jets up so i can see the little holes in them. i cleaned them with cleaner and also stuck wire in the holes that looked clogged. I also took the little rubber plugs off and took the pilot jets out and cleaned them. everything was perfectly clean when i put it all back together but i still get this problem....

Video:

i hope that everyone can play the video. basically it bogs down still with the slightest bit of throttle. also when i start it, it needs to run on choke for a while before I can release it.

I was so convinced that cleaning the pilot jet and the main jet a bit better would get it running smoothly. I havent taken the diaphragms out due because the screws are stuck and I'm afraid i might damage the rubber if I do considering how expensive new ones are.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM.

Well, just so you know, your carbs are STILL not clean. You say you have been browsing for a while, how many times have you seen us say "DIP (soak) YOUR CARBS"??

Also, that "screw with a hole in it" is your main jet. The tube above it that you are calling "main jet" is actually your needle jet. Yes, it's good to clean all those holes, but there are LOTS of small passages between those jets that need to be cleaned and all the o-rings need to be replaced,

Back to your orignal problem, until you get some filters or the stock airbox on the intake of the carbs, it will ALWAYS bog down when you give it some throttle. Want a quick test? Fold a shop rag in half, hold it over the carb intakes. Clamp it to the two outer carbs, but make sure it is taut over the inner ones. That will make it run well enough for a quick test, but is not accurate enough for jetting checks.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's about how they all run with no air box or filters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

unfortunately the old air filter is disintegrated so it doesnt offer much air resistance. i suppose that and a more aggressive carb clean out are my next steps. thanks guys

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. braq attack,

You'll find a regular GS850G partay over at my little website. Please feel free to stop by and have a look around. But first, have a look at the "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes" link below. Then continue to the "mega-welcome" and carefully and thoroughly go through the maintenance lists. You have a 30 year old machine that needs 20 years worth of maintenance. In order to avoid frustration, take no shortcuts.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X