Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how the heck do you sync Mikuni Flat Slides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've synced carbs on SOHC4 Hondas before, but these look nothing like them an have no obvious vacuum ports.

The vacuum ports are right there in your picture.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by zoo mob View Post
      The same way you sync the stock carbs.

See that little screw that needs an allen wrench that is in the metal runner on the cylinder head?

That is where you put your adapters.

Last edited by Steve; 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh yeah, I should mention that these are on a stock 1980 GS1100E with stock exhaust. The bike came with these any idea which model they are?

Comment

same vacuum ports no matter what carburetor
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Well, I'm feeling like a moron I guess. Can I be walked through the procedure in a sentence or two?

Comment

I have no experience with those carbs, but your first step is going to be to connect your vacuum gauges.

Morgan Carbtune is highly preferred.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Anyone have a bit more insight on how to get this job done?

Comment

Take the tops off one Carb is not adjustable the other three have adjusting screws and locknuts set those three to match the nonadjustable one. Not hard to do.
                  sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                  1994 gsxr1100w
                  1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

synq the slides? or the air flow?
                    slides are operated by the rod on top, check with mikuni on there site they might have exact documents for those, or set them all to open and close the same real easy like someone said already, if your talkin about carb flow there is a different style of flow tuner not the morgan multi hose style, i think those hose outlets are for air but thats all
                    are there hose outlets on all the carbs??

Comment

Originally posted by zoo mob View Post
                      Well, I'm feeling like a moron I guess. Can I be walked through the procedure in a sentence or two?
                      Hook up the gauges to the adapter tubes you install in the intake ports where the small allen screws are. Remove the carb tops. #3 is the "fixed" carb that doesn't move & you sync the other 3 carbs to it. The phillips screw on the top of each carb is the LOCK screw & the HEX nut is the adjuster. It takes very LITTLE adjustment on that nut to cause a BIG change in the sync. Turn the idle up to 2000-2500 rpm to sync. Call me at 714--356-7845 if you need help. Ray.

Comment

I'm not sure, but if that's an 1100 or 1150, send the carbs to me and I'll send you back a lovely set of 34mm CV carbs.

Or you can look at this manual for tuning info: http://www.zodiac.nl/instructions/234862.pdf

Comment

Thanks, this makes things abundantly clearer. It might be a couple of days, but I'll post back with results....and likely more questions.

Comment

As Ray alluded to in his post the adjusters are very sensitive with a little movement making a BIG change. The adjuster is not a threaded piece where you can fine tune it with a fraction of a turn. Instead it's a small offset cam that doesn't move much to make a change. In fact, the Mikuni manual I got from Sudco recommends doing a "bench synch" only on them. A bench synch is where you pull the carbs out and then use a small drill bit or piece of wire to manually set all of the slides to the same opening height. You adjust each carb (except #3 which is not adjustable) until you have a "slip fit" on the drill bit or wire much like you would when adjusting something with a feeler gauge. With the sensitivity of the adjusters, its a real tedious process.

Comment

I've done bench syncs on them that were SPOT ON & they ran like crap till I got the vacuum gauges on & synced them correctly. Ray.
                              Last edited by rapidray; 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X