Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb question

So I took my carbs of the bike and noticed a vacuum line connected from carb 2 to carb 3, take a look I attached a pic, is it supposed to be this way?

I didn't see one from carb #2 to carb #3 in that picture, but I did see one from #2 to #4.

There should be a separate tube on each of those and they should be draped over your airbox, simply ending in a still-air pocket.

They are the vent tubes for your carbs, the carbs won't work correctly with that tube the way it is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just out of curiosity, How did it run?
      I'm guessing not very well?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Aren't those carbs mixed up on the rack?

Where's the vacuum port for the fuel tap?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Aren't those carbs mixed up on the rack?

Where's the vacuum port for the fuel tap?
          Also, how are there 2 tubes coming off the No. 2 carb?

Edit: for more questions.

Why is the throttle connection between 3 and 4? I have always seen it in the center of the rack.

Those carb bodies don't look jumbled, they look to be incomplete. The body at No. 3 looks like a second No. 1 carb body (i.e., no vacuum or breather port at all).
          Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

let me answer your questions:

yes the bike is running bad, cylinders 1&4 dont fire.

The vacuum port for the fuel tap is located on the 2nd carb.

I checked the manual and the throttle connection is in the right place.

I haven't done anything to the carbs except for cleaning out the float bowls and jets but it seems to me like the previous owner had done some work with them. He removed the air box and installed pods and the jets all look new and shinny so i supposed they were replaced.

Also are each of the carbs supposed to have a breather except for #1 is it really possible that I have two #1 carbs on this bike?

Comment

Have you tested your coils/ignition yet? 1 & 4 are on the same coil.

Comment

yes i have i get spark on 1&4 the bike definitely has a timing issue as well, Messing with the points i actually got the bike to run (for a day) but when I went back to it after riding I had the same issue with 1&4. so I decided to take another look at the carbs.

Comment

off the fiche for a GS550...take it thats what there off...looks like only 2 vac lines but which goes where I have no idea

RB

Comment

The vacuum for the petcock comes from #3. The nipple on #2 and #4 are float bowl vents, they need to stay open. Loop the hose up over the air box to dangle down the back.

Comment

ok so then my carbs are out order because the vacuum for the petcock is on carb 2 as you can see in the picture, right?

Comment

Is that the correct carb in the correct position?

The one that is drilled to supply vacuum is the one that goes in the #3 position. This port is drilled into the carburetor bore forward of the throttle slide.

On #2 and also #4 the port is drilled through to the float bowl to act as a vent.

#1 has no port.

Wait, in you picture, are there two ports on the #2 carburetor? Looks like there are two hoses coming from it? I see no port at all on #3, something is wrong there. You have a mismatched set or maybe they are off of another motorcycle, that is not how Suzuki did it. I have a bunch of VM 24 carburetor bodies if you need one or two.
                        Last edited by tkent02; 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrom3897 View Post
                          ok so then my carbs are out order because the vacuum for the petcock is on carb 2 as you can see in the picture, right?
                          Yes

If you look on the intake side, you'll see the hole for the vacuum port. That should be your #3 carb.

It looks like the PO did a tear down, broke a carb and just replaced it without regard for what goes where.Each one of the carb bodies is different. I'd take them all off the rack and see what you need and contact Tom to see if he has the correct body

While this carb situation probably won't solve your main issue, it should give you a hint as to the quality of work done by the PO
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

so your telling me that I must have 2 #1 carbs because there are two carbs with no ports and that #3 carb is in the wrong place? Also is the #3 carb supposed to have the vacuum line for the petcock as well as vent for the float bowl, as seen in my picture(#2 carb)?

Comment

You have one wrong carb on there.
                              The number 1,3 and 4 should have vacuum nipples. The 1 and 4 vent the float bowls of all carbs with the hose that connects the carbs. If you look under the float you will see the hole.
                              The #3 has that hole blocked off in the float bowl and it is open to the throat of the carb so it can suck the vacuum from the motors compression to pull out the petcock diaphragm.
                              Last edited by chef1366; 04-20-2012, 01:03 PM.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X