Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting a 1981 gs650gl

I would like to say in advance thank everyone here for your
    advice. I just bought a new to me non running1981 gs650gl. a little history with the bike: Been sitting for about three years old ugly and alot of sun damage. Im going to turn it into a cafe racer. known problems include gummed up carbs, bad stator, no good battrey, torn up rotors and brakes and did i say it was ugly lol. I know my way around bikes so i can fix just about anything. But here is my problem. carbs !!!!! ive found some jet kits online but i want to use the stock exhaust( two into one on each side and there in great shape) with
    after market k&n style air filters i.e one filter per carb. Can i just clean the jets up or do i need to rejet ??? If so what size jets do i need ????

Post a pic, I've probably seen worst! I'd probably try to get it running in it's present state, in case there's a serious problem (i.e. expensive) that might give you second thoughts.
    The folks here preach the kit linked here to make life simpler;

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Don't buy cheap pods, or you will have even more fun! Welcome
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I cleaned the carbs put in new fuel and it started and run on the second try ( with help from jumper cables) i love this bike! but it was leaking fuel from the airbox drain ??? got to find out why its doing that and start trouble shooting the eletric system now. Thank you again for your repley.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. raage76,

Any changes to the intake or exhaust system will require re-jetting the carbs. Do yourself a favor and get the bike running well in the stock configuration before you start making modifications. Carefully and thoroughly implement the items on the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". See my website for the proper procedures for carb cleaning, valve adjustment, etc. Once you get ready to install pod filters, a Dynojet kit makes tuning the carbs pretty easy.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by raage76 View Post
          Thank you for your advice. I cleaned the carbs put in new fuel and it started and run on the second try ( with help from jumper cables) i love this bike! but it was leaking fuel from the airbox drain ??? got to find out why its doing that and start trouble shooting the eletric system now. Thank you again for your repley.
          Hopefully you followed the carb cleaning tutorials. Fuel in airbox either means leaking petcock ( you do understand the different petcock positions, right???) or float needle valves that are leaking, maybe worn or still gummed up. Thirty yearold petcock failure is very common.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Once again thank you guys for ur wisdom. Here is a little more info. I carefuly cleaned the carbs only removing the built up deposits. Set the throttle cable so there is no tension on the carb linkage until the throttle is turned. It only leaks fuel from the airbox drain when in the resever or prime position. The bike idles normal and revs qiuckly so im pretty sure the carbs are in good working order( however when i cleaned the carbs the # 2 carb float bowl plunger felt a little weak ). I also found that the stator and reg seem to be working fine after putting my multi-meter on them. Also there are two plastic tees coming off the fuel rail that are not attached to anything and i know this is not right. Any help from this forum would be great. Other than that this little 650 is more than i could ever hope for in bike of its age and i look forward to getting it back on the road and showing people you dont have to have a new machince to enjoy are sport.

Comment

Originally posted by raage76 View Post
              Other than that this little 650 is more than i could ever hope for in bike of its age and i look forward to getting it back on the road and showing people you dont have to have a new machince to enjoy are sport.
              You think people who buy the new machines enjoy the sport too? Interesting...

I though they just enjoyed impressing each other with how much borrowed money they spent to buy things they didn't need to impress people they will never meet.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

LOL i hear you brother. I have only only owned one new bike in my life and it almost killed me. Nothing like riding a bike you put blood, sweat and tears in. Great post.

Comment

Working...
                X