Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Vacuum misbehaving

I had my carbs cleaned.

Since the cleaning I have gotten rid of a lot of problems that had nothing to do with the carbs at all. However, I believe the guy who cleaned my carbs neglected the area that pulls vacuum to the petcock.

If I have my bike running, it might shut down generally randomly. Turns out I was losing vacuum. I have for several months been running using the prime position and haven't had this problem anymore.

It looks like I might be opening my carbs soon to put the original jets back in. Can anyone point me to the area I need to look for the vacuum?

My old mechanic told me he had to punch through something in the vacuum to get it to start, but that he just knocked it lose and whatever it was could come and block the hole again.

Originally posted by verboseone View Post
    I had my carbs cleaned.

Since the cleaning I have gotten rid of a lot of problems that had nothing to do with the carbs at all. However, I believe the guy who cleaned my carbs neglected the area that pulls vacuum to the petcock.

If I have my bike running, it might shut down generally randomly. Turns out I was losing vacuum. I have for several months been running using the prime position and haven't had this problem anymore.
    Since it ran OK on prime spot for months, I bet you need a new petcock to stop worrying about this pulling vacuum stuff.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I don't think I need a pet cock. I have since tested, the carbs do indeed lose vacuum to the hose gong to the petcock. Prime bypasses the vacuum valve.

I also replaced the petcock with a new one less than two years ago.

Comment

The vacuum port is just a hole with a hose nipple on it. Do what was said in the other thread, the valves and synchronizing and such...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't think I need a pet cock. I have since tested, the carbs do indeed lose vacuum to the hose gong to the petcock. Prime bypasses the vacuum valve.

I also replaced the petcock with a new one less than two years ago.
          The only way the vacuum from carb#2 nipple would be lost on way to petcock is if vac hose collapsed. You mentioned that your old mechanic poked something to get vac flowing- he might have damaged petcock, so it only works in prime. Get some clear 1/4 inch vinyl tubing, put on petcock vac fitting and suck- any fuel flow in "on" or "res" spot?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Posted this on your other post, will save me a little retyping.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The mechanic poke something to get it to run? K that ain't cool, apparently he doesn't know the bike. Sounds like he ruptured the diaphragm in the petcock. Yeah so if you get any fuel in the clear vacuum hose time for a new petcock. Don't bother trying a repair kit, that fix is pretty useless.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

He poked into the carbeurator with the fittin for the vacuum hose.

The hose is new vinyl vacuum hose.

Comment

That fitting should have never been out to begin with, could be loose enough to drop the vacuum at times.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The check valve for the vacuum line is in the petcock, maybe he just plugged the carb vacuum hole.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                    X