Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb problem or?

Please can someone help?
    My Gs1000g 1981 52000 mile, Starts up instantly with choke, when choke push in, 1000 revs ish, then when warm, idle creeps up to 1500 resting at 2000 revs sometimes higher,when throttle blipped can sometines drop, then back to 2000 revs ish.
    Idle runs high when riding, clutch pulled in the same?
    I have had a top end rebuild 2 years ago.
    I assume that the Carbs need Ultrasonickly cleaning? I have sprayed carb cleaner in by removing airbox only. I dont like to fiddle unless i have to? Any clues

Thanks in advance, badger

take those suckers off and clean the jets dude.

Comment

Air leaks are causing a lean condition

You may need some new inlet rubber, O rings at least
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You could adjust the idle speed screw when it's hot, to get the 1100 or so RPM idle and just accept the low idle when it's cold. Usually they idle a little bit lower when cold, not a lot.

Or you could find the list of required and usually neglected maintenance items on Cliff's big website, go through everything on the list and have a perfectly running motorcycle.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Air leaks are causing a lean condition

You may need some new inlet rubber, O rings at least
          I agree. Most likely the inlet o-rings.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. badger,

You have a 30 year old machine that needs maintenance. Carefully and thoroughly go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". If all the tasks are done properly, then your well running, reliable motorcycle will make you insanely happy. If you take short cuts, then your pile of metal and rubber will leave you unbearably frustrated.

Take care of air leaks in the intake system, i.e. replace the intake boot O-rings, seal the airbox, etc. You'll find guides on my little website.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

This will sound odd, given the truly solid advice already present in this thread, but my 550 was acting similar to this for a while. The bike would only start choked, and the rpms at idle would migrate around as the bike warmed up, sometimes as much as 1500 rpm difference. It turned out that a previous owner had stripped a spark plug thread and that cylinder was losing compression and gaining it intermittently as the head warmed (expanded and cooled). That's the running theory, at least. New intake boots and o-rings did nothing for the problem. When I replaced the head the migrating rpm issues vanished (yay for consistent compression!). Like I said, probably not that, but it's food for thought. Best to start with a full run of routine maintenance first, it solves a surprising number of problems.

Comment

Whereabouts in the world are you badger? Might be a GSr just round the corner who help you.

Sounds like carb O ring leaks like the guys are saying above.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You are more than likely sucking air through your intake boots on the engine side. There are o-rings mating the boot with the head.
                  Who did the top end and why did they not replace these since the head was off and they are very easy to change at this point?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Carb issue

Thanks to all for the tips/advice, very quickly given too?
                    I have stripped down cleaned/polished and re-assembled. Could not see anything untoward? I was surprised just how clean they were, maybe due to the overflowing of the carbs, (Petcock now replaced). Next job i will check out intake seals as per advice?
                    Watch this space!!!
                    Badger..

Comment

Working...
                    X