No announcement yet.

Idle screw nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, with much disappointment,"and a little embarrassment", I have to report that the slot did not work. Still can't get the screw to budge. I caused too much damage trying to drill it out so carb#4 is now a paperweight, and a stinging reminder to be more patient when a problem like this arises. Two steps forward, five steps back. Thanks for all of your advice. If anyone has a spare carb, or better yet a bank of Carbs they wouldn't mind parting with please let me know. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry about your luck, but let's make sure you are not making another mistake.

Which way are you numbering your carbs?

#1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

If nobody comes up with one in the next week, I might be home next weekend, I can check to see if I have one.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very kind of you steve, and in this case I was right. It is indeed #4.

Comment

I'm starting to think these Carbs were bought in a bargain basement down some cruel dark alley... Carb #3 screw does not want to budge either, and on the side of the housing where the screw is there is a scoremark that is right in line with the slot of the screw. Someone else was going to do the same thing. I went even a little deeper than the original slot with my dremel to ensure a sturdy bite and this idle mixture screw is frozen solid. I didn't cause any further damage, it's soaking in wd40 right now... Hoping for the best here, but leaning towards either a whole new bank, or restoring the original Carbs that came with the bike. Any thoughts as to what alchemy could possibly cause these screws to be so stubborn? And, would heat via propane torch make any difference as a last ditch effort?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
            ..., it's soaking in wd40 right now...
            If you are trying to remove the screw, why not use some PENETRATING OIL?

WD-40 is NOT penetrating oil.

Use real stuff, like PB Blaster, Kroil and others, not the 40th attempt at a (very good) Water Dispersant.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll give it a shot, will obviously have to wait till tomorrow as all I have on hand is WD. If WD sucks as bad as you think it does maybe some PB will loosen up the screw in #4 as well. I can get a bite on it, it just doesn't want to move, and I never thought about it but fourty tries is a little much.

Comment

I had a stubborn screw once. I left it in the carb body and soaked the whole carb for 24 hours on a bucket of Berryman carb dip. After that the screw came out.

Comment

Carb #3 has been saved. Carb four still not budging but I'm optimistic... PB blaster was very effective.

Comment

And carb#4 idle mix screw has finally been extracted but destroyed in the process. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X