Carb Issues - '82 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Issues - '82 GS850L

Recently bought a junker 850L to fix up and am having trouble with the carbs.

I know the answer the my question is do a complete carb overhaul, but i wont have a garage for a couple weeks or so and want to try to find the specific problem in the meantime.

I initially found excessive fuel in the oil and had an issue of fuel gushing out of the airbox. I pulled the carbs and reset the float height and unstuck and cleaned them. It is idling a lot smoother, but still not without about 20% choke. More importantly, I now have fuel coming out of the #2 and #3 exhaust pipes. at least i think its fuel. its coming out kinda grey and seems more like 50% water.

Im going to work on the carbs a bit more tomorrow, but dont have the parts or shop for the complete overhaul.

Any specific theories in the meantime?

Your petcock will probably be shot so run through a test of it; there are plenty of threads here detailing how to test it

Past that, clean your carbs PROPERLY. If I can do it on a 40 acre piece of property in a storage shed, you can do it in your place.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

wait , isnt it supposed to flow with suction on the petcock? and not flow without?

Comment

Oops, sorry
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Bean town, are you Frijoles and beans?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Si Senor

so no carb theories? just gonna have to go on intuition... good luck to me

Comment

Originally posted by BeanTown View Post
              I initially found excessive fuel in the oil and had an issue of fuel gushing out of the airbox. I pulled the carbs and reset the float height and unstuck and cleaned them. It is idling a lot smoother, but still not without about 20% choke. More importantly, I now have fuel coming out of the #2 and #3 exhaust pipes. at least i think its fuel. its coming out kinda grey and seems more like 50% water.
              First, welcome back. Been wondering where you were.
              Now, as to your issues:
              What is the #2 & #3 pipes? The left pipe handles 1 & 2, the right pipe handles 3 & 4. Not sure why you would have condensation in your cylinders, but if it were white smoke it would be fuel. It sounds like you need to pull the carbs again and try once more.
              Second, what did you unstick? The needle and seats? If so, you may need to do that again. I would double-check the float heights while you are at it. I have rebuilt 3 sets of carbs for my bikes and all 3 sets had the float levels incorrect.
              Once you do this, bench test the carbs prior to installing them. In other words take your fuel cell and connect it to the carbs, which should be in the correct "on the bike" orientation. If you use your fuel tank, put the petcock on PRI. It should last at least an hour without any leaks.
              I do this every time, and twice I found a needle and seat that needed to be cleaned again.
              Hope this helps.
              Hasta.

Comment

Thanks for the response, going to pull them shortly. The fuel is leaking out of the exhaust seam near the oil drain plug on the #2 and#3 exhaust pipes. plugs are also wet. I think while im at it im going the check to make sure im getting spark. Aren't cyl 2&3 on the same coil?

Comment

Yes. 1 & 4 are paired and 2 & 3 are paired.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Your petcock will probably be shot so run through a test of it; there are plenty of threads here detailing how to test it

Past that, clean your carbs PROPERLY. If I can do it on a 40 acre piece of property in a storage shed, you can do it in your place.

Carbs cleaned properly, floats readjusted, dripping down to a minmum but still there. Checked the petcock again and got fuel in the vaccum line. looks like i should have dont that one first

Comment

Working...
                    X